20- The Proposal

Note- This is an alternate take to Karan's marriage proposal to Monami.

Karan's day wasn't going great. It was supposed to be a nice, calm weekend but somehow, everything had cascaded. He needed up to meet up with someone and here he was, having to take care of the agents and their little issues. Sure, it was necessary but did everything have to be today?

"Karan?" He almost froze. Monami. He turned out, smiling at his girlfriend. She smiled, walking closer. "Kahan jaa rahe ho?"

"Woh... thoda kaam hai", he said.

She frowned. "Kya kaam? Aaj Sunday hai." She had been looking forward to hanging out with him. But this was important. He really needed to get going. He was already late. Something flickered in her eyes and she stepped closer. "Tum... mission par toh nahi jaa rahe? Sundays ko kyun kaam kar rahe ho?"

He shook his head. "Chhota sa kaam hai", he promised. "But I need to get going. Baad mein bataunga."

She didn't look satisfied but she nodded, offering him a small smile. "Raat ko dinner ek saath?" He glanced at the time. Would he able to get back? He nodded, looking up. Her smile widened. "Jab aa jaaoge toh call kar dena. I will wait. Dhyaan se jaana, okay? Aur aaram se drive karna please."

"Haan ji. Aur koi order, ma'am?" He teased lightly.

She rolled her eyes, lightly hitting him. "Jaldi aana", she said and he smiled, nodding.

---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---x---

Karan looked at the huge house. It really was big. He didn't remember it wrong. The first time he came here, he didn't really have a lot of time to look around and the second, he was practically thrown out. He doubted it would be different this time. He would rather not be here but his Bhabhi had insisted. "Dr. Mahajan se milna hai", he said to the helper- an old man, who opened the door wider, letting him in. Do they let anyone in? Or did he recognize them?

"Sahab living room mein hai", he said. He hesitated for a moment and so, he too paused, looking at him expectantly. "Aap Monami baby ke boyfriend ho, na?"

It was strange to hear to Monami being referred as baby. He didn't like it. He might not call her that, purely because that particular endearment was his niece's nickname and that was just weird, but he didn't like anyone calling her that either. He nodded nonetheless.

"Baby aapke baare mein bahut baat karti hai", he said, smiling at him. Karan smiled. "Badha khush hoti aapka naam sunte hi."

He followed the man deeper into the house. Dr. Mahajan was right there, but his back was turned to him. Books littered around him- medical, from a glance- and he was looking through, noisily turning the pages.

"Sahab, aapse milne koi aaya hai", the old helper said and the man nodded, still concentrated on his books. 

He walked over, and he glanced up. Karan was almost amused at the older man's reaction. A double take. His eyebrows were raised and he let him approach. Despite the few times he had been to their house, Karan had met his girlfriend's father quite a few times even after they found out about their relationship. The conversations were never 'friendly' or 'comfortable' but lately, they had started to turn civil. They didn't always end up fighting.

He looked him over before turning his head, glancing around. Eyebrows furrowed, he looked back. Probably looking for Monami. And then, something else flickered in his eyes and he shot up. "Karan..." That wasn't the tone he was expecting. "Tum..." He looked him up and down. "Meri beti kahan hai?"