7- Sau Gulaabon Ki Dastaan

SAU GULAABON KI DASTAAN:

Karan peeked out from behind his coffee mug, staring at Monami as she laughed. Three months in, and their relationship couldn't be better. When the chandelier had fallen, and his world had changed, he couldn't think he could have fallen more in love with her. She was his jaan, his dhadkan, what else could she possibly be? But four months from that night, and he was deeper than ever.

"Janaab, aise mat dekhiye", Faizi whispered, leaning over. "Hum aur Siddharth kab tak bachaate rahenge aap dono ko?"

He tore his eyes away from Monami, narrowing them at Faizi. "Koel ko jab tu date par lekar gaya tha, aur academy ke rules todh kar, use 1 baje waapas lekar aaya tha, aur stupidly Batra Sir se pakda gaya tha, toh kisne madat kari thi?"

"Arey, hum toh mazaak kar rahe the", he said. "Dil par mat lijiye. Dekhiye, dekhiye, aapki hi hai."

He rolled his eyes, shaking his head.

"#Wow", Chitra said, and he looked up, finding the cadets staring at something. He followed their gaze, finding an extravagant bouquet, and his eyebrows quirked up in surprise.

The man kept it down on their table, turning it to face Monami. "Monami ma'am", he said. "Yeh aapke liye hai."

Karan's eyes widened, and he turned to his girlfriend, staring at her for an explanation. She was too intrigued by the flowers to notice his silent question, and she reached for the card that was attached to it.

Sid yanked it before she could get it, opening it up. "Dr. Monami Mahajan. Bol toh diya tha wo jo mann mein tha, aur aapne maan bhi liya tha. Par sau baar bol kar bhi mann ko chain nahi milega, toh yeh sau gulaab hi sahi."

"Ooh", the cadets said, almost in sync.

It wasn't signed, but Monami seemed to understand who the card was from. A wide smile spread on her face, genuine happiness reflecting in her eyes. Sid's gaze lifted to Karan, and he quirked an eyebrow up, tilting his head in question. He shook his head, nodding to the flowers and giving him a questioning look back. He shrugged cluelessly.

"Janaab, aap nahi hai, yeh toh hume pata hai", Faizi muttered. "Itne phool toh kya, aap ek nahi dete use."

Karan glared at him. He glanced at the roses, and then up at Monami's smiling and impressed face. His jaw and hands clenched, as Suman ji teased her about a potential boyfriend.

---x---x---x---x---x---x---

The bag swung wildly, the sweat flicking off from his hair.

'Bol toh diya tha wo jo mann mein tha, aur aapne maan bhi liya tha.'

'Kya maan liya tha? Kya bol diya tha?' He thought bitterly, his fist finding the bag again. His jaw clenched tighter, and he hit the bag again.

"Garmi nahi hain iss room mein zyaada?" A voice said, and he turned around, finding her with her sweet smile. She tilted her head, walking closer. She looked him up and down, before fanning her face.

"Tum yahan kya kar rahi ho? Apne gulaab soongne se fursat mil gayi?"

She frowned a little. "Gulaab se kya problem hai tumhe?"

'Gulaab nahi. Jis ne diye hain, usse problem hai. Kya zaroorat hai use gulaab bhejne ki? Hai kaun wo?' he thought. 'Itna kyun khush ho rahi thi tum? Chahiye the, toh mujhe bol deti. Main mana thodi naa karta.'

"Mujhe kyun problem hogi?" He said, ripping the gloves off. "Mujhe koi problem nahi hai."

She blinked, tilting her head as she stared at him quizzically. He threw the gloves to the ground, walking off.