Welcome to the New Normal, pt. 2

"It's a little beaten-up, but it can withstand the elements for the most part," Crowley explained as he held Camila by her hood, who kept trying to sneak off, "though it's quite a charming little building if I do say so myself."

She pouted, but said nothing.

"You mustn't bother with running away, Yuuka," his voice was even, though his face was unfriendly, "in the first place, you have no money or identification. You would either end up in the custody of police or lost without a soul to find you! You wouldn't want that, would you?"

"....."

"I am a very kind and forgiving person, but even I have my limits. Do behave."

"...Yes, Headmage, sir," she gritted out, wanting nothing more than to get out of his iron grip.

"Glad you see it my way," his voice was more cheerful and he released her to clap his hands.

As soon as he finished, a bucket, mop, and broom appeared before her.

"Right," Camila spoke emotionlessly as she folded back the sleeves of her ceremonial robes, "I suppose I should get to work then."

"Hmm," Crowley let out an amused him as he watched her grab the broom without hesitation.

Noticing his sudden noise, Camila stopped and stared at him.

"?"

"Ah! Camila, dear! Your arms... they're surprisingly well defined despite your unimpres- ah, normal appearance!"

"...."

"Ah yes, the wheels are turning as we speak! I've discovered a means in which you earn your keep! Why don't you become my personal janitor?"

"I don't think I have a choice," she muttered so that only she could hear.

"...Did you say something?" His smile never wavered.

"It's nothing. What's a janitor?"

Crowley grinned at her.

"It's a duty that encompasses all manner of cleaning, such as washing windows, sweeping floors and streets, picking up trash, that sort of work. Usually only those with large builds can handle such work as it can be rather strenuous, but you've got the strength to pull it off, as I'm sure of it!"

Camila wasn't sure what he was getting so excited for; all she did was show her arms.

The more time she spent with the headmage the more she disliked him.

"In case you need to look up anything, I've allowed you access to the school's library. That'll be all for tonight! Please get some rest, as I intend to have you start as soon as possible! And no wandering around campus unsupervised!"

The last part he glared at her in a comical way, but she simply nodded her head.

Upon seeing her cooperation, his grin returned before he gave his goodbye and left out of the house without a sound.

She let out an irritated huff but continued to her cleaning.

The dust was so much it looked like a snowstrom hit the already ruined building, it's white blanketing the couches, tables and chairs in a powdery film.

She didn't hesitate; once she found the rag in the bucket's soapy, warm water, she proceeded to wipe the dust off of the furniture.

She then moved onto the walls, cleaning the spiderwebs off of the pictures before realigning them.

It took her an hour to finish the main room, but the difference was night and day.

She double checked to see if she got all the dust from the rails from the steps and stairs, but after she was done, the result was like night and day.

Hour by hour, she worked on each room, not losing momentum or wakefulness as she swept and mopped, each floor looking spotless.

Despite being deep in her cleaning, a smell caught her attention.

This was different from the rust from the old metal or the mold eating the wood; it smelled of rain.

Not long afterwards, she could hear the pitter patter of raindrops hitting the rooftop, some droplets spilling into the room from the holes of the ceiling.

"....."

The moldy smell grew stronger, and part of her worried if she'd end up sick, but she shook the thought away.

There was no time to worry; she needed to finish so she could sleep and prepare for the morning activity the Headmage had planned for her.

As she examined a raindrop that fell onto a mirror, the smell of burning fire hit her nose before it dispersed from the air.

Camila crinkled her nose and adjusted her glasses before finding some planks of wood that were still in good condition.

She found some nails and a hammer in the room's drawer and climbed up to plug the holes.

Afterwards she made her way to the hallway to discover the source of the faint smell.

"Uugggiii! It's comin' down, alright!" a familiar voice yelped.

Confirming her suspicions, Grim appeared, his gray fur soaked and his ears covered by his paws as he hopped away from the droplets.

"...Evening," was all she uttered.

He gave her a funny look.

"What's with you? Weirdo."

He then gave a smug grin.

"Gettin' back into this school was a piece of pie! That Headmage and his cronies were a buncha chumps. Once they were satisfied with themselves and left, I seized my chance and here I am!"

"....."

"If you think getting thrown out would make me stop getting enrolled you gotta nother thing coming!"

This...creature certainly liked to hear himself talk- which gave Camila the chance.

She was openly curious about the world around her, and Grim was no exception.

"Why do you wish to become a member of this school's alumni?"

"It's obvious," he said as he looked at her as if she had a third eye, "I'm a genius who's destined to become a great magician!"