Chapter 6

It was in the middle of Spring. Cherry blossoms were sprouting in its beauty everywhere. And one random day, while I'm on my way out of school, something happened to me.

Someone happened to me.

While walking down the stairs on my way home that day, I saw a figure sitting on one of the benches. I am not a person whose interest is easily piqued, but for some reason, something inside me told me to check what and who it was. Or maybe it was because this someone was completely covering his entire body with a yellow blanket or something, with only his head out in the open. I got curious.

I couldn't make out his face from the side and he was unmoving. Like he's a statue cemented there.

So nonchalantly, I walked to the benches and when I was close enough to see his face, I stopped in my tracks, leaving a safe space between us.

I took a good second to stare at his face. Again, I'm not someone who easily finds someone attractive. But even with this guy's eyes closed, I would consider him attractive.

The afternoon sun was making his face glow even more. He was obviously sleeping in peace but I saw the subtle crease on his forehead that made me stand right in front of him to block the sun. The moment my shadow covered his face, his face relaxed and I saw the little smile on his lips.

As if entranced by the beauty in front of me, my body just froze there - just admiring how pretty the guy was. But this didn't last long when I heard someone call out my name.

"Haruto! Let's go!"

I turned my head to face the owner of the voice and it was my best friend, Yoshi.

"Oh! I'm coming."

I forgot there was someone sleeping in front of me when I shouted back at Yoshi. And when I turned my head in front, the guy who had his eyes closed, was now looking so innocently at me. As if a little bird cooed in his own nest while he must've unconsciously pouted because I just disturbed his sleep.

I kept a stoic face and hurriedly walked down the benches and ran to Yoshi.

"Who was that?" He asked when we started to walk out of the school yard.

I shrugged my shoulders and looked back. No one was there anymore. "I don't know."

Ever since that day, I have tried my best to look for the pretty guy at school. I only know his face so it was a challenge. It was our last year in middle school but that was my first time seeing the guy in school.

I wondered if he was the type of student who prefers not to be seen. That's why I haven't seen him around or if he was even a student here. I did not see what he was wearing that day because his entire figure was covered by his yellow blanket except his head.

When I couldn't find him, that's when I changed my plan. I joined the volleyball team because athletes are popular in school. Maybe if I can't find him, he would see me play and might show himself in one of the school festival matches.

Yoshi was surprised when I joined the team but he was my best supporter. We've been best friends since elementary after all. He initially didn't know why I joined. I never told him anyway that I got startrucked by a guy who never left my mind since the first time I saw him. I don't even know what kind of person he was. But love truly works wonders.

My innocent heart started to beat at age 14. Probably way too young for something serious and I did not expect it to beat for a guy.

Last school festival in middle school.

I was hoping I would see him in the crowd or at least at school booths. But even when our match ended, I failed at my attempt.

After the game I went to the back of the covered court where there was a washing area and to my surprise, I saw someone slouching and hugging his knees while watching a stray kitten eat. From the looks of it, he gave the kitten its food.