Kitty Love

A young woman, or she still wholeheartedly believed until she stopped and thought about it or was reminded brutally, and her cat. He was also pretty young, having been a few years when she got him as a gift from her grandfather, Gohan. He was an energetic orange cat, one that spent his time bouncing off the walls like a hyperactive child.

She loved dressing him up in bows and booties -though it was obvious he would beg to differ- and she was most grateful -and most surprised about- his weird love for baths. He was a unique one, that was for sure, but he was her best friend. He'd been there throughout her better and worser parts of high school, getting her through dark places she'd rather not revisit without her therapist -to who she was VERY grateful for-.

So when she saw how ecstatic he was when she came home from doing anything, she didn't think much of it. Until recently, she didn't think much of any of his hyper antics to get her attention. Until she'd been laying in her bed -shamefully late at night- watching cat videos instead of sleeping, and saw a video of a interspecies friendship between a cat and dog.

That was it, he needed a friend. -Much too similar to her- She could do that, but she didn't have time to go get one herself. She had a busy schedule being in college at the highest ranking school on the planet -Which so happened to be family owned-.

So when she saw a small, skinny black cat in a cat trap, with large clumps of fur missing and cuts and gashes that were crawling with worms and maggots, she thought: absolu-fucking-lutely NOT.

It was feral, probably had rabies, -Forget the rabies IT'S PROBABLY DEAD-.

Despite all of this, she couldn't stop herself from walking closer, grabbing a long twig on the way. She cautiously slid the stick between the metal bars of the cage, jabbing gently into the thing's side. It jumped immediately, hissing and snarling and snapping its jaws.

Nope. Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope. She wouldn't do it. She couldn't do it. She returned to her original path. It was on its own, in an alley on the side of the road, bleeding out, probably in the most pain it's ever been in, with no one to help or comfort it.

She looked back at it, it wiggling defiantly. There was a broken piece of the door bent in, jammed in its neck, keeping it pressed harshly against the ground. Although there was probably no hope for it, it continued to fight for a life it could not have.

She sighed as she came back.

"Look, I'm dropping you off at a shelter, you hear me?" She reasoned as she crouched down, her palms out where it could see.

It hissed as she reached inside the cage, and cried out as she tugged gently on the broken door in its neck. She cringed as it withed, hating how it sounded like it was saying 'ow' over and over. Finally, the dented hinges gave, swinging back and releasing the pressure on the poor thing's neck. It crawled backward, pressing itself against the back of the cage as it arched its back and raised its hackles.

"Oh you poor thing you." She groaned as she debated what to do now. She kept her hands in sight, coming to the realization that she now held all of its attention as it growled lowly.

"Ok-ayyy..." She breathed, "Who's ready to find a shelter?"

_________________

She rubbed her forehead with a sweaty hand as she swiped her phone with the thumb of her other hand. Every nearby animal shelter seemed -sketchy as fuck- unfit to be legal, and the nearest vet clinic was forty minutes away. She bit her lip as she glanced over at the cage. She stopped at a corner store and grabbed a tube wet food for it. She had squeezed some at the bottom of the cage where the little cat was licking. Desperately searching for anything it missed.