Chapter 4

Joan pov
  It's been three days since the mission. When we got back I had secluded myself to my room. I would go out to go to the gym, or to leave the tower and go for a run, but that was either early in the morning, or in the dead of night. All of the sudden, Tony's voice comes over the speakers.

  "Hello team, meeting in room 105 in five minutes. Again meeting in room 105 in five minutes," he says, then his voice is followed by a click.

  I get up from my seated position on the floor and walk out of my room. As I'm walking to the elevator, I just so happen to run into Steve. As we're waiting there together, Steve breaks the silence.

  "Are you ok Joan? We haven't seen you since the mission. Everything ok?" He asks.

  I nod my head and keep my gaze forward.

  "You can talk to us you know. We won't judge you. We all have shared experiences," he adds.

  Then finally I speak up. "We don't have shared experiences. No one has been through what I've gone through."

  I can see Steves confusion. Right as he's about to comment, the elevator doors open. I know for a fact that Steve would have kept going if it weren't for Nat and Clint standing in the elevator.

  "Going up?" Clint asks with a smirk.

  Steve and I step in and the elevator ride is quiet. Unfortunately it's an awkward silence. Nonetheless, I would prefer that over talking.

  "So?" Clint starts. "You think that this is about that girl?" He asks.

  "Most likely," Steve says. Natalia nods her head in agreement.

  "Joan?" Clint asks, trying to bring me into the conversation.

  I don't respond though. I get that I'm not in Hydra, but I can't help but still follow their rules.

  "Nat made a great spaghetti last night," Clint speaks up.

  He was getting on my nerves now. I slightly look back and shoot him a look of "shut up or I'll rip out your voice box." Thankfully, he does shut up.

  Once the elevator door opens up, we make our way to the conference room. We walk in and everyone is standing in front of the table. It was about the girl, I knew it was. There wouldn't be a mission, not so soon.

  "About time," Tony says walking up to Steve. The two get into a conversation. I walk right past them and to the corner. I lean against the wall and cross my arms, keeping my gaze at the door. Something felt off. Ever since she came here, I've had this feeling that something bad is going to happen.

  I've been trying to think about who that man was, but I just couldn't remember for the life of me. I never could. Suddenly, the door handle wiggles and the door slides open. Everyone straightens up. Sure enough, the girl from the mission walks in and next to her was Fury. She has thick blond hair that went a little past her shoulders. She has green eyes that resembles grass on a sunny day. She is wearing a black long sleeve shirt and black leggings. She is about 5'1 and 110 pounds. She doesn't have a lot of muscle on her. She's twenty one, I would say. She would be an easy target to take out.

  "Everyone, I would like to introduce you to Rose. She will be the newest member of the team," Fury explains.

  "Hello Rose, my name is Steve-"

  "Rogers. Captain America born in 1918. I know who you are," she says looking down. Her voice was soft and had a slight Russian accent, but she wasn't Russian, that was clear.

  "Your Bruce Banner, or the Hulk. You're Natasha Romanova, Black Widow. Wanda Maximove. Your Tony Stark, Iron Man. I know who you all are," the girl says, still looking at the floor.

  Bucky and I exchange a look. Almost asking if I was ok. I just look away though. Suddenly, though, I feel her gaze on me. So I look to her and meet her eyes. The moment our eyes meet, her eyes go wide with fear and dread. I straighten up and move away from the wall.

  "No! Wh-what is she doing here? I thought you said that you weren't Hydra!" The girl says in a panic, looking at Fury.

  Everyone's eyes go to me. I scoff to myself and look to Barnes. He gives me a look of "go talk to her". I sigh, knowing that if I didn't then it would end poorly.

  "I'm not Hydra," I growl, walking closer to her, but still keeping my distance.

  "No, no you are! Your the-"

  "I am nothing. You have the wrong person," I say in a deep voice. She cowards back slightly and looks away from me.

  "Uhh, well how about we go for a tour. Joan, will you go and check on the brownies?" Tony says in a stern tone.

  I straighten up and make my way out of the room. As I walk past the girl, I can hear a voice in my head. "Who are you?" It asks. I stop in my tracks and turn around to look at her. Right as I'm about to say something, Tony gives me a look. So I comply and leave. 

  It's now 6:37. I'm assuming the tour went well, considering that nothing blew up. I am sitting on the floor of my room. I needed to do something. I was starting to get antsy. I get up and and walk out of my room and go to the main floor. As I was walking down the hall, I could hear chattering.

  As I turn the corner, I see that they were all eating. Even the Rose girl was there. I needed to leave. As I turn around about to leave, of course James calls my name.

  "Joan! Come join us!" He hollers from the table.

  I turn around, knowing that it is too late. He knew that I heard him. So I make my way to the table and take a seat near the end. James is next to me and the girl is across from me. She's sitting next to Steve.

  "Joan, would you like anything?" James asks.

  It was some kind of stew. I shake my head and place my hand out. "No I'm ok. Thanks though."

  James nods and carries on his conversation with Steve. They were talking about politics, I didn't pay much attention though. I couldn't help but stair at the girl. I can't help but think that I've seen her before. I mean she did say that she knew me, but maybe she had me confused with someone else. It was killing me.

  "What?" She asks, now looking at me.

  She never looked people in the eyes. The closest she would get would be their chin. I look away and poor myself some water. Both Steve and James both look at me. I turn my head to my right and look down to the ground.

  "Joan, how are you doing?" Steve asks.

  What was he trying to do? He didn't trust me only days before and now he's asking how I'm doing? How do I respond? Do I respond? I'm not supposed to respond.

  "Joan?" I look to Buchanan and then look away.

  I need to leave. That's probably what Steve was getting at. He wanted me to leave. I stand up and nod my head at them and walk away. I make my way to the first floor. I needed to go for a run and clear my head, so that's what I did.