twelve

Barry paced around the room as he desperately tried to wrap his head around the note.
The kids on the couch, watching the clock as time dwindled away.
There was only one solution to this.

Face it head on.

_______________________

11:37.
Action.
Everyone slowly made their way to the black SUV parked in the woods behind the camper.
Backpacks full of necessities lay carefully placed in the trunk.
Linus got in first, grabbing Alice's hand to help her inside.
They looked at each other with a somber expression.
Barry glanced at the two from the rear view mirror, a soft smile nervously painted on his face.

It was a silent ride.

Nonetheless, the silence was loud.

They made it to headquarters just as the clock read 12:00 am.
Quietly, they exited the vehicle and grabbed a backpack each.
The two had no idea the contents inside the bags as Barry packed them. But they doubted he would lead them astray.
Hesitantly, they all turned the corner one by one. Barry leading the way and Alice following behind in last. Linus's arm in front of her as she walked. She almost blushed at the fact he was trying to keep her safe, but the crack of glass stopped her thoughts.
They abruptly stopped and turned.
Mr. Rosales propped in the door way, blood covered and limp.

Barry gasped and turned to the kids, who were almost ghost white as they laid their eyes behind him.
Barry's eyes crossed, looking up.
'Go' he mouthed to the two, who swiftly turned around only to be caught by pairs of arms dragging them away.

2 gunshots echoed throughout the empty parking garage. Alice winced as she heard the gut wrenching sound, only imagining Barry with a hole in his head.

The children were taken separate ways. Surely if Linus saved her before, he would save her now right?
She wiggled and fought as she once again was trapped within a supply of tape and rope.
A grumble exited her mouth when she tried to scream.

"uh uh uh" a voice tsked. "I don't think that's a good idea sweet child"
A man entered from the shadows, shaking his head and wriggling his finger at her.
He crouched down in front of her.
His hot breath on the side of her neck as he leaned towards her ear.
"You're mighty brave for getting wrapped up with those two."
He pulled away from her, kicking her in the ribs, and walking away.

Alice was alone again. This time frightened and hurt.
And there was definitely no saving her now.