eleven

The two had awoken inside a small camper. The smell of freshly brewed coffee filled the air.
Alice, looking down at her hand, realized Edvin's was intertwined within it. She quickly tried pulling it away but Edvin only grasped tighter, trying desperately not to let her go.
Barry, who had entered the room around the corner, smiled at them.
"Well Well Well.. now what do we have here?"
Alice couldn't tell if he was speaking playfully or angrily so she kept silent as a sour look spread across her face.
"What the hell do you want with us?" Alice spoke with a cold tone.
Barry looked taken aback and Edvin passive aggressively nudged her shoulder.
Alice's face turned confused as she looked at Edvin, who had now let go of her hand and stood up, glancing eyeingly around the room.
Barry noticed his actions and was quick to reassure the two that there was so suspicious business going on.

"I deeply apologize for what I have put you kids through. Especially you, Linus. I cant express enough how sorry I am about Sonja." He started getting teary eyed but wiped them away with a sigh.

"Alice, I had no idea who you were when we grabbed you. We thought you were Nina, we've been looking for her for months. When we realized you weren't her, we panicked as you'd seen too much. My boss was wanting to kill you to keep you from spilling to anybody. I felt horrible and contacted Linus, asking him to fake a deal with me so he knew where you were at to come rescue you." he eventually continued.

Alice shook her head with anger, which quickly turned into confusion, then back to anger.

"So, you planted the gun in the bag?"
Barry nodded.
"What do you mean deal? and how did you know Linus knew me? Mr. Rosales is your boss?"
The questions kept coming.

Barry stopped her in her tracks.
"Yes, Mr. Rosales is my boss. Together we run a drug business selling illegal marajuana and cocaine mostly- well used to. As soon as I got out of the hospital I ditched. Bought a camper with a burner and moved out here. I hope he nev-"
Alice interrupted.
"You never answered how you knew Linus knew me." She said out of patience.
Barry tsked.
"This boy never shuts up about you. Always talking about the pretty girl that lives at the facility."

Alice glanced over at Linus who was trying to hide his face by looking at the floor. She smiled and joked.
"Aww how cute. He loves me"
Alice looked mischievously at the boy who was now looking at her and playfully shoved her shoulder. "Oh shut it." he joked back.
Barry nearly gushed but he was stopped in his tracks by a rock that had been thrown through the window.

Everyone froze as their eyes darted quickly to the now broken window and then down to the floor.
Perfectly in front of Barrys feet sat a rock with a scrap of paper taped to it.
Barry reached down, reluctantly grabbing the note off the rock and unfolding it.
He gasped as he read.

____________________________________
Mission 2:
        Nina Ek has been located.
        Report to headquarters at midnight for the    rundown.
          I will be expecting the three of you.
  ~Mr. R
____________________________________

Barry looked up at Linus who sighed deeply, grabbing Alices hand.
"Kids, brace yourselves. I have a feeling it's going to be a rough night"
Linus nodded, looking at Alice who nodded back.
Alice squeezed Linus's hand a little harder as she sighed defeatedly.
Yet the only thing she could think about was the boy standing next to her. The broken look in his eyes. And the tiredness he must feel.

After all...
He's been running his whole life.