WARMTH

As the moon hit the stars in the night, darkness crowded the forest and it was colder than all of us ever had been at Glory Bell. All of the blankets and few pillows we packed for our trip were now laid out for each of us to sleep on for the time being, Walter and Dina were in charge of keeping guard at night and sat together near the entrance of the gap in the tree while later on Nicolas and Lucas would switch them after a few hours.

Yuugo and me were allowed to sleep for the entire night as I was the most vulnerable and Yuugo had put up with me for the whole day.

Everyone huddled together in the corner to keep each other warm while all the older kids stayed at a more secluded place away from the rest of them.

"Why am I sleeping in the middle?" I narrowed my eyes looking at my blanket on the ground and singular pillow just for me. On each side stood Lucas's and Yuugo's blankets.

In the past, I didn't mind that all of the older kids shared a room but the only difference is that we had our own beds to sleep on. We were all aware that we no longer had beds for the time being but the way our sleeping position was set up, none of us had ever been used to it before.

The younger kids seemed fine snuggling up with one other, the same could not be said for the older children.

My legs stretched out against the blanket as Lucas helped me with my pillow, "Because," He said as he grasped the pillow gently lifting my injured leg and placed the soft material under it to give me some comfort. We all decided to give our younger siblings the rest of the pillows.

"Because...?" I tried to continue him on as I watched him tower over me and pull me closer to the middle of the blankets laid out for the three of us, "Oh."

Lucas hummed, "Huh? Did I do something?" He looked at my face not aware of how close he had gotten to me.

"No," I answered. A smile small formed on his lips before reaching over beside me and grabbing another blanket to cover me.

"You do have to keep in mind that you're the most vulnerable one here right now [Name]," He said as he began to cover me up and pushing me down onto the ground to lay flat.

"Plus, it's colder now and we don't have a house to protect us from the wind."

I nodded looking up at him from the ground as he began to go under his blanket right next to me.

"I get that, but..." I trailed off looking to the other side of me and noticed that Yuugo had already made himself comfortable but had his back faced me. I couldn't tell if he was already asleep.

"But what?" Lucas asked making direct eye contact with me now about to lie down flat on the ground.

"We're so, close."

He blinked a couple of times before scanning our positions. Me, him, and Yuugo were barely even inches away from each other, if I were to just slightly I would have touched both of them.

"Yeah, so?" He raised a brow not fazed at all as heat started to rush to my face.

"What do you mean and?! You're not fazed by this?!" I quietly yelled at him. His eyes travelled across the room while slowly laying back down on the ground, completely ignoring my complaint.

"Hey don't ignore me!" I threatened him making him chuckle. Once he was finally on the ground his body faced me as I turned my head to look at him.

"Like I said, it's colder out here. It'd be best if we used our body heat to keep warm," He smiled. I tried to open my mouth to say something but no comebacks appeared in my head. Lucas was right and he knew that too.