Chapter 6 - The bait

Trevor's fingers ran down Venita's hair. Venita lay on his bed, half-dressed and engulfed. She could taste the tequila flavour in Trevor's mouth as their tongues rolled over each other. Trevor was tipsy but not drunk. He knew he needed intimacy to relax his nerves after the party, and Venita was readily available and forthcoming. He smooched her tenderly on the chest and her chest felt too full to be real for Trevor. Trevor just wanted a quick one, but it seemed Venita was all in for the foreplay. He gently laid her on the bed and rode into her till she reached climax. He left Venita sprawled on the bed while he lay on his back, exhaling heavily.

It was almost one month since his last sexual encounter and almost three months since his last serious relationship. He broke up with his ex-girlfriend, Lilah, when he discovered she was a cheat who had many escapades with her Tinder matches. Although she had interesting features that drew Trevor to her, Lilah lacked self-control. Lilah's struggle with self-control stemmed from her addiction to sex. Trevor could not keep up with her sexual drive when he became a little too busy with work that he hardly had time for extensive moments. Having this moment with Venita was like having a one-night stand, since he had no attachment to her. She had just been pushy ever since they met, giving him those seductive and enchanting looks. Towards the end of the party, she met him in his room, and they engaged in a friendly conversation, which later ended in a mutual occurrence. 

Venita's mind wandered while she lay on the bed. She felt an immense sense of achievement. She recalled getting a call from Tricia asking her to do her a favour. She was intrigued when she learned about the favour because, according to Tricia, Trevor's parents were extremely wealthy, and she needed someone to manage and keep him close at hand. Tricia did not elaborate on the individuals involved, but she was confident that Venita would complete the task successfully because she had known Venita to be an avaricious lady with a charming body who knew how to get men as quickly as she wanted. She had gone under the knife several times to enhance her body; she had that money. Her previous lover, her sugar daddy, was filthy rich. He spent a lot of money on her while they were together and supported her business enormously. Venita's father was a wealthy man too, who showed little interest in the activities of his adult daughter. He also had his own secretive life to live, so he was less concerned with Venita's way of life. For some strange reason, she wondered why she didn't get to see the mayor. She'd heard he'd travelled a great distance to see his son, but he wasn't present at the celebration.

"I did not have the opportunity to meet with the mayor. I heard that he came to surprise you," Venita's voice startled Trevor because the room was silent. He thought the question through before responding. He wanted to be conservative towards Venita. He knew they weren't a match. They could flirt and have a good time, but he did not want her to crave more.

"The mayor is a very reserved man who hardly has time for frivolous birthday parties. He only came to pay his son a visit."

Trevor reached for his underpants and suit. He didn't want to engage in a deep conversation with Venita. He was unsure that all the guests had left, so he did not want to put on loungewear. Venita noticed he had been avoiding having meaningful conversations with her. She realised that things would need to move more slowly because it was still too early. Trevor put her clothes together and gestured for her to get dressed.

"This meant nothing, Venita. We only had fun."

"Are you sure about that? Perhaps you should at least express how happy you felt when you were done."

"To be honest, I really don't feel anything for you. I apologise for having to say this. Although you are stunning and alluring, we are not a good fit."

Venita pursed her lips, then softly parted them and grinned slyly.

"It's too early to conclude, Trevor. You barely know me. Moreover, love grows; isn't that what people say? Do you even believe in love? It is just imaginary."

"I do not need to bore you with my view of love. I love people genuinely, so I can't be in any relationship until I feel a strong sense of love for you. It is unhealthy for me."

They were both dressed now. Each was left to ponder what happened. Trevor walked down the stairs to meet Katie, sorting wrapped gifts.

"Hey, Katie! You broke a leg; the party was awesome."

"Where have you been? You left when guests wanted to say goodbye."

"Well, I got busy".

Katie observed Venita behind.

"Wait, were you two up to something?" Katie inquired, puzzled, while Venita smiled childishly behind him.

"Not at all. There is nothing that you should be bothered about".

"I hope so. Would you prefer the chief keeper to take these gifts to your room? Some are labelled fragile, so I will just let him know before I hand them over to him."

"It's fine, Katie. They can take them to the room. Has Justin left? I observed him flocking to a woman."

"He is right in the hall having the time of his life with your emcee. I think he drank too much."

Trevor could hear Justin's laugh from the hall. He knew Justin had a lot to say to him.

"Hey, man! I thought you plucked one of the flowers I had in my neighbourhood. How did it go? I saw how you were trying your tactics on Ashley." Trevor laughed with words in his mouth as he approached Justin.

"And you tried to steal the moment. I saw what you did there. You always act like you are not interested, but you always end up winning me when it comes to getting the stunning girls."

"I'm saving them from a playboy like you by giving them genuine love. Jokes aside, you know that's not true. You've always had the best luck with them."

"And tell me you are not banging Venita," Justin said curiously.

Ronald, who had been standing there with all his smiles, had no words. He quietly vanished and allowed them to resolve their problems.

"I am only having a good time. It's my birthday for crying out loud. I had to cool off."

"Wow! I hope you are not joking. You hardly bang girls you have no interest in. Is this a sign that you are interested in her?" Justin nudged him.

"For now. I am sure the interest is not there. I am just living to enjoy this single life moment."

"Good for you. How about Ashley?"

"You know, I acknowledged her beauty the first day I met her in that office. She is beautiful, and she has that glass skin, right? I find her very attractive, but I don't think there is a strong connection."

"You don't need to talk gibberish to hide anything—the expression on your face speaks volumes already."

"But how are you considering Ashley when you already have two ladies you are entangled with? Come off it, man! You baffle me sometimes," Trevor said jokingly, raising his brows.

"We will see how it goes. If she is the one, I will back off for sure," Justin declared, raising both hands to show defeat. He didn't want Trevor to start reciting the list of women he had played.

"Trevor, lest I forget, I need to pay my respects to the mayor. I have not met him since he arrived. I don't want him to feel I do not care about his coming."

"Sure, let's hurry before he retires for the day."