Chapter 32

Chapter 32

The first thing Fang became aware of was the warm grass underneath his paws. He relished the gentle blades which flicked against his fur in the breeze. He inhaled, scenting the warm, sweet smell of lavender and marigold.

Above him, he could hear the gentle rustling of trees. The sun made his pelt feel pleasantly hot and warm. After days of the bleak, desolate snowy landscape, Fang was glad to be-

Where am I?

With a jolt of unease, Fang wrenched open his eyes. He was sitting in a field of grass, with pine trees rustling above him. It was newleaf, and the tantalising scent of prey wreathed around him.

"This is where you lived, huh?"

Fang still felt too groggy to turn towards the voice which had just sounded behind him. At once, he felt an overwhelming wave of grief. His paws shook as he tried to get up.

"Thornshade... is that you?"

He felt warm breath ruffle the fur along his spine. Turning, Fang came face to face with a brown tabby. Unlike how Thornshade had appeared in his final moments, his pelt was thick and sleek. His wings were majestic and shining, though nothing glowed more than his glistening amber eyes.

"You shouldn't have-" Fang's voice cut off with a choking gasp.

Thornshade whisked his tail across Fang's shoulder. There was nothing but warmth in the gesture.

"It's okay," he meowed reassuringly. "I never needed to be some famous hero anyway," he laughed lightly, but pain showed in his eyes. "I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Being with you, those moments made me happier than ever. I would have rathered a moon together than a lifetime in the shadows of CoalClan."

"But you died."

Thornshade didn't respond for a long time. Fang glanced at his friend's pelt, admiring Thornshade's determination, courage and selflessness. Without him, Fang would never have gotten as far as he had in his journey.

"It wasn't bad," Thornshade said at last. "My journey here, I mean. The hardest part was leaving the rest of you guys behind... knowing what could have been."

Fang leaned against him. "I'm going to miss them too," he whispered. "But I'm glad Thistleheart is gone."

Fang glanced down at his pelt, expecting to see stars. His heart seemed to leap in his throat when he saw none. His pelt looked half-faded, with some parts barely within view. Thornshade meowed something about Thistleheart being gone for good, but Fang could only feel fear.

"I'm fading... It's my connection with Thistleheart isn't it?" Thornshade opened his jaws, but Fang could see that the brown tabby was nodding. "I'm going to the Dark Forest, aren't I?"

A new voice, coarse and gravelly like ancient stone, broke into the conversation.

"Your connection was undeniable, but the Dark Forest? StarClan, no."

Fang turned to see a wizened old she-cat padding towards him. She was hardly visible, as though she could be carried away in the breeze. Behind her was a vast sea of starry warriors, far more cats than Thistleheart had ever commanded.

He felt his jaw open and close in pure astonishment as he realised that all the StarClan cats' gazes were on him. But why? I'm just some little, weird rogue...

"You still doubt yourself," the she-cat murmured.

It wasn't a question, yet Fang couldn't help but answer it.