Chapter 28

Fang was padding to the snow, tail erect, ears pricked. He narrowed his eyes against the snow which barraged his pelt. Behind him, Thornshade limped grimly onwards. Wolfstorm and Morningdew had fanned out.

They'd been searching the mountains for the past quarter moon for any sign of life. Beyond the occasional sparrow taking flight, or mouse searching for berries, the land seemed entirely deserted. Rubble still remained from where the avalanche had struck.

"This is eerie," Thornshade muttered in Fang's ear as they pressed onwards.

Fang nodded in silent agreement. He could sense that something was changing at the summit of the mountains. Thistleheart was waiting for something. She was poised to strike. Does she know we're coming?

Fang certainly hoped not, though he thought it was likely the she-cat was.

Thornshade was sniffing the ground. Fang couldn't help but wince at the amount of pain his new friend must be in. His long-furred pelt hid most of the beating he had endured, though Fang knew the scars the fur hid.

He scanned the terrain once more. Again, there was no sign of life on the bleak landscape.

One advantage to the long periods of time that Fang and the cats from the sea spent searching for Aspenpaw and any wounded cats, was that he had plenty of time to think. The longer he spent pacing, the more his worry grew. The plan in his mind was still only half-formed. Fang retraced it in his mind as his small paws sunk into the layers of snow.

If I can just get to Thistleheart, I can fight her. We have some sort of connection; linked to the Dawn of the Claw. If I can get her talking, we can figure out a way to end this-

Fang nearly tripped over a massive protruding boulder. It was like a dark grey spike jutting out of the ground. In a hazy memory, he recalled seeing this stone mere heartbeats before he had become unconscious.

"Thornshade!"

The brown tabby had been tracking a vole. He glanced up sharply when Fang called his name. Wolfstorm and Morningdew also sprinted over, evidently worried by Fang's expression.

"An attack?" Morningdew asked sharply, unsheathing her claws.

"I don't think so," Wolfstorm murmured reassuringly, gazing right at Fang with his perceptive amber eyes.

Fang shook himself, trying to dampen his excitement and terror at seeing the landmark. "This stone," he said, flicking his tail to the odd protrusion, "was the last thing I saw before I got knocked out." He glanced at Thornshade. "You remember it too, right?"

Thornshade gazed at Fang, pain darkening his gaze. It seemed to take him an effort to turn away from Fang and towards the rock. He growled.

"Yeah, I recall this rock."

Fang exhaled. He let out a faint mrow of thanks. Thornshade nodded, a stony expression remaining on his face. Together, both cats turned their heads in the direction they had been running before the avalanche had swallowed them in its icy jaws.

"The cave must be buried," Fang guessed.

"Cave?" Morningdew's eyes lit up. "Those are my specialty. I am a CaveClan cat after all! Come on, let's dig it out. I'll finally get to show you all my powers. It will be great to meet your-"

"Morningdew!"

Wolfstorm let out a sharp growl, and at once the brown and black she-cat fell silent. Now that their conversation had died away, Fang could hear the sound of approaching pawsteps. Wolfstorm eyed them all gravely.