Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Aspenpaw stared at the circle of DawnClan cats as they marched Fang towards her former camp. She remained in the shadows, ears pricked, eyes wary.

Brackenpaw glanced over her shoulder from where she was tailing Fang. The dark brown she-cat shot Aspenpaw a dark glare. The ginger she-cat returned the stare blankly, unsure of how to reply.

"What do we do now?"

Ebonyswoop padded up to Ravenflutter, tail twitching to and fro. Aspenpaw noticed how droopy her friend's whiskers were. Ravenflutter's pelt was scratched, and she had one paw firmly placed on Nightshade's back.

"I...don't know," Ravenflutter stared down at the limp, bleeding tom. "I'm sure this is Nightpaw; we were apprentices together."

"That changes nothing," Eagleswoop padded forward, tail held high. "If either of you she-cats care about bringing back the light, before this foxdunged cold gets us, you'll follow Sparrowstar's orders. Drag him to camp."

Ravenflutter remained where she was. Her beautiful amber eyes flashed, and her tail lashed across the earth. Eagleswoop whirled around, and before Ravenflutter could leap away, he slashed a paw across her left ear.

He had cut half of it clean off.

Blood began to pour down openly from the wound. Crimson stained her black face red. Stringstrike gasped in disgust. Ebonywing let out a wail as she sprinted towards Ravenfluter. The black she-cat lowered her gaze, turning to grasp Nightshade's scruff in her jaws.

"Don't questions orders," Eagleswoop spat at the bleeding she-cat.

He turned to address the remainder of the cats. "If we're going to survive this, we're going to need to be stronger warriors. That means not questioning Sparrowstar. He has StarClans wishes to lead us to safety."

"Foxheart," Stringstrike breathed under his breath.

Eagleswoop twitched his ears in the direction of the warrior. "If any warrior, Senior or not, questions his judgement, they'll get a little ear clipping too."

He turned to Ravenflutter, who had nearly dragged Nightshade to the camp barrier. She left trickles of blood in her pawsteps. Ebonywing was beside her clanmate, murmuring reassurance in her ear.

"R-ravenflutter," Eagleswoop called.

The black she-cat whirled to face him. Her jawline was held tight. "Yes?" was her reply.

"I think a couple of moons in the apprentice's den ought to even you out. Last piece of the freshkill pile too. We don't like cats who act like rogues." He shifted his gaze to Ridgepaw, who was helping to hold Haze down.

"Ridgepaw has been loyal," Eagleswoop remarked. "I think we'll make an example of him."

Aspenpaw's foster brother glanced up from where he had been holding Haze down. To her horror, his eyes gleamed with excitement as he gazed up at Eagleswoop. The tom purred.

"Full medicine cat name for you today, Ridgepaw. Perhaps we should think about making you the senior medicine cat of DawnClan too."

"Really?!"

Eagleswoop nodded sagely. "You've been so very helpful with Sparrowstar's transition. StarClan speaks quite strongly with you. Poor Breezefern has such a weak connection that she thought Blazestar was still alive."

Aspenpaw waited for some cat to retort, but instead, all of them bowed their heads, eyes raw with grief.

"Those rogues were truly heartless," Eagleswoop remarked.