Chapter 3

Chapter 3

He promised I'd meet them today!

Aspenpaw paced across the deserted camp, throwing furitive glances towards the bramble barrier. Her paws trembled slightly and her heart thrummed in nervous anticipation.

Sparrowtalon had finally decided today was the day she ventured into the pine forest. She'd been training really hard the past quarter moon, sharpening her battle skills, and spending nights wandering the forest, thinking of the best battle strategies.

"You're not going to see any cat, mousebrain," Sparrowtalon had growled one day when Aspenpaw had stumbled into camp after a night training under the pale moonlight. "They're all cowards and scared of us. We're just asserting our dominance."

Aspenpaw wasn't so sure.

"Got you!"

"No you don't! I'll get you though, mouseheart!"

Aspenpaw glanced over her shoulder to where Iriskit and Dapplekit were tussling in the grass. The two dark grey toms were three moons old. Their mother, Elderberry, nuzzled them affectionately as they raced around her.

My mother used to protect me like that... Didn't she?

Aspenpaw's memories of Lightsong were as faint as the light wind which made the leaves above rustle faintly. All she could remember was a warm, thick-furred pelt surrounding her, encompassing her.

Her only true memory was the one she had of Lightsong's disappearance.

The fern bushes rustled just outside of camp.

Aspenpaw's ears pricked, and she bolted towards the bramble barrier. Scarcely a moment later, three boisterous young cats sprinted into camp, laden with freshkill. Aspenpaw's heart plummeted when she surveyed the mentor's bustling in behind them; Sparrowtalon wasn't there.

"Hey!" Aspenpaw exclaimed when she saw Nutpaw's massive squirrel. She raced up to the small brown tom. "Have you seen Sparrowtalon anywhere?"

For a moment, Nutpaw didn't respond. Aspenpaw tilted her head in bewilderment as the apprentice exchanged an uneasy glance with Brackenpaw. At last, Nutpaw said in a gusty sigh.

"Yeah," his amber eyes gleamed as he went on. "He was having a really heated discussion with Cloverfang. It was—hard to miss."

"What about?"

Nutpaw was about to reply when a sharp hiss cut him off. Brackenpaw, Nutpaw's littermate, loomed above him with bushed up fur. The dark brown, almost black, tabby apprentice looked like a ferocious bear.

Aspenpaw immediately stiffened, and narrowed her eyes. Ever since they had been kits, she hadn't gotten along with the she-cat. She didn't respect Aspenpaw, in fact, Aspenpaw sometimes got the feeling that Brackenpaw hated her.

Aspenpaw knew that not every cat was going to lay prey down at her paws like Nutpaw did, but all of them could at least see that she was a strong, capable DawnClan warrior.

"What?" Aspenpaw snapped. "If Nutpaw has information, he can give it to me. I'd be happy to take it!"

Nutpaw glanced uneasily at his littermate before muttering something like, 'don't worry, I won't, under his breath.

"They'll be back soon, I'm sure," Brackenpaw meowed stiffly. "I'm sure such a Blazestar's strong little pet can wait."

"Y-you take that back!"

Aspenpaw's pent up emotions got the best of her, and she bowled Brackenpaw to the ground. The brown tabby, evidently surprised, went limp as she fell below Aspenpaw.