Chapter 14

Chapter 14

I leave you for less than a day, and this is what happens to you!

Fang hung his head as the voice scolded him. He didn't have a reply, so instead he stared dazedly ahead, at the long fluffy brown tabby tail of the DawnClan warrior in the lead. Eagleswoop.

Aspenpaw's head was bowed low, and her tail skimmed the ground in shame as a white she-cat with flaming orange eyes pushed her forward. Haze was limping visibly, the poultice around her right eye barely holding on, Nightshade practically glued to her side. He snarled savagely when a black she-cat made towards her, as though about to offer help.

"I didn't realise you ever left my head," Fang mumbled in his mind as he trudged towards DawnClan territory.

I do have a lot to do, the voice purred. It takes a lot of time to build an army, Fang. But I'll always have time for you.

"An army?"

"Keep up!" A she-cat's mew snapped Fang out of his thoughts.

He turned to see a young brown tabby glowering down at him through narrowed yellow eyes. He blinked at her.

"S-sorry."

For a heartbeat, he expected her to try to land a blow on him like the other Midnights did when he tripped over their paws. But she just sighed, and urged him onwards.

Don't say sorry to them! The voice interjected smoothly. They're your enemies, Fang. If you're going to survive out here, you're going to have to be fierce. I loved watching you slit Cloverfang's throat, darling. It's what you were made to do.

Fang nodded as the memory of the dead she-cat flitted into his mind. Perhaps she was right; being strong was what had saved Claw's life... Or at least, it had saved it long enough for his friend to flee to safety...

She's dead, Fang, the voice murmered distantly.

Fang tripped over a root, and nearly fell head first into Eagleswoop. The tom jumped back when their fur brushed, almost as though he had received an electric shock. Fang lifted his chin. "See, look," he thought. "Not apologising."

Eagleswoop smiled weakly. "S-sorry," he said, staring into Fang's eyes for an uncomfortably long time.

Tell him that Windy wants to see him at dusk, the she-cat told Fang. Also... hmmm something subtle. No, we're going to have to spell it out for the birdbrain, aren't we? Say: Aye Ahem This Ol' Heart's Sun.

Eagleswoop was still staring at Fang. At this point, the whole patrol has begun to continue on without them. Fang was pretty sure Nightshade was giving him and Eagleswoop some weird looks.

"Windy wants to see you at dusk," Fang blurted. He blinked. Now what was the rest... "Aye ahem this ol' heart's sun?" No, that can't be right. "I'm this'll-heart's son?" No...couldn't be that either. "I'm Thistleheart's son?"

Fang wasn't sure whose fur fluffed highest into the air when he said that. Eagleswoop's pelt stood on end, and his eyes rounded in astonishment. At once, he was dipping his head to Fang, meekly staring into the dark grey rogue's bewildered expression.

"H-how nice," he squawked. "I'm Eagleswoop, deputy of DawnClan."

Fang was pretty sure that he was dreaming. And the young tom didn't yet understand the worst of it yet either.

Eagleswoop turned away. "Come on," he said at last. "We shouldn't keep the others waiting."

Fang bobbed his head up and down, and watched as Eagleswoop padded shakily back towards his clanmates. They had all stopped a little ways ahead, in a glade that would have looked magnificent in the sunlight.