Chapter 6

Chapter 6

The brisk night wind whipped Fang's ears as he crouched in the undergrowth. A few paces behind him, Nightshade and Claw stalked. The dark grey tom unsheathed his claws, digging them uneasily into the peaty earth.

A shadowy figure was padding towards them from the far distance. As Fang narrowed his eyes, he tried to place together the cat's features, to figure out who they were, but he couldn't tell.

A long gash ran along the cat's side, oozing out blood. They were surprisingly small. Fang blinked as the cat padded slowly forward, undaunted by the shadowy pine forest.

"Are you ready?"

Nightshade's green eyes were mere slits as he padded up to Fang. The dark grey tom glanced up at the older Midnight, legs trembling slightly. He felt genuine fear ripple along his spine as he turned towards the misty figure.

He knew they had to attack. They always attacked outsiders, whether it foxes, kittypets, or the occasional clan warrior.

Fang realised that words wouldn't come. The shadows around the pine forest were expansive and unfriendly. He flattened his ears, taking a pace back, nearly falling into Claw.

"Of course we're ready!" Claw meowed fervently.

Nightshade nodded slightly. Then, he slunk off in the opposite direction. The shadowy figure was now only a few tail lengths away, padding towards Fang unwaveringly. He realised he was trembling.

Get it together! You're supposed to be the tough one.

Claw glanced at him from out of the corner of her eye. "Don't worry," she murmured. "I'll protect you."

A heartbeat later, the figure sprang. Fang saw the flash of gleaming, long white claws aimed straight for his heart. He couldn't move, it was coming too fast. He closed his eyes, sure that death would come.

But it didn't.

A heartbeat later, Fang opened his eyes. Laying at his paws, eyes glassy, was Claw. Blood pooled out of her throat from a deep gash, except... it wasn't blood... it was something dark and black.

As Fang trembled, a shadow loomed over him. He glanced up to see the small figure of the shadowy cat, gazing back at him. The killer opened their jaws, and the words thundered in Fang's head.

Fang... You didn't fight strong enough. You killed the only cat who ever loved you.

"FANG!"

Fang was drenched in Claw's blood.

Or, he thought he was. He thrashed wildly, looking for the shadowy, distorted figure in the darkness which pressed in around him, but he saw nothing but inky blackness. As Fang's senses finally came too, he realised that his claws were on cold, stone, and that there was no scent of blood. Sweat trickled down his side.

"Fang?"

The voice sounded once more, and now, with a pang, Fang realised that it was Claw's. He blinked open his eyes clearly, and saw the dusty white she-cat staring up at him, evident concern in her gaze.

"The shadows... the blood..." Fang mumbled before sinking to the cave floor.

"Sit down!"

A sharp command sounded in Fang's ears, and he instantly obeyed. The dark grey tom took a steadying breath, glancing around, realising that he was in the cave he shared with his unit. Robin was padding towards him, eyes narrowed.

"What happened?"

Her voice was taut with tension. Fang gazed up into her eyes, and saw raw emotion in them. For a cat that was so closed off and emotional, Robin looked genuinely on the brink of collapse. That only made Fang's heart pound faster.