Gift planning

I texted Kayla to tell her that I'll be coming for the party and put my phone down on the coffee table. Everyone had dispersed, leaving me alone in the living room. Kaoru Akimoto's Narcissist played from the television, with me singing the lyrics under my breath as I tried to type out a new story on my tablet.
But then, I'm left to stare at a blank screen, just one word typed on a story part. My mind was still racing around Kayla's birthday party. What if this Luna plans to do something to me at the party? I've forgiven her once, only for her to start being mean again, what if her recent friendliness was all an act? What if she didn't actually feel sorry when she came over with those chocolates?
"Cupcake?" I turned to look at Charles as he walked in and sat down in the armchair. "Working on a new chapter?"
I nodded. "Yeah. But nothing's coming yet."
I sighed and leaned back. This Luna... why did this loon have to come my way like this? I thought this was a good school, why am I coming across people like this even here?
"You okay?" Charles asked, looking slightly concerned.
I realised how I had zoned out and nodded. "Yeah. I'm okay."
Charles tilted his head. "You sure? Because there's clearly something on your mind."
I sighed in defeat. "I was just thinking about the party. Because you see, Loony is coming."
"But she apologised, didn't she?" Charles said. "She was the one that brought you that huge box of Fusha Rosha, right?"
I nodded. "Yes, but..." I pointed at the necklace I wore. "This necklace was a token of apology too. But did she stop there?"
"Looks like she didn't," Charles shrugged. "You're afraid that Loony might do something again, right?"
I groaned. "Yes. I'm just scared that she'd try to embarrass me or something. I don't want that..."
Charles frowned for a moment before turning back to me with a smirk. "How about this. You go to the party, act like nothing is up, and if she pulls something, you throw it right back at her."
"Meaning?"
Charles leaned forward slightly. "If she makes a snarky remark, just ask her to repeat herself. If she stares at you and starts nitpicking, you stare at her shoes as if there were amusing. If she goes around spreading rumours, make an embarrassing joke about her or call her out for lying. And if she tries to smack you, smack her back. I give you permission."
I looked at him in surprise. "Say what, now?"
To my surprise, Charles actually pulled out a notepad and pen from the TV cabinet and started writing. He tore off the sheet and handed it to me. He had actually written down whatever he just said, even making a neat list.
"Don't let yourself be pushed around by people like this," Charles said. "Kindness doesn't work for everyone."
Actually, some of the advice were really good, especially asking a person to repeat themselves after making a snarky remark.
I smiled at him. "Thanks... Dad."
"You're welcome, Cupcake."
I guess his experience as a HR has indeed thought him a thing or two when it comes to dealing with people.

***

Kayla looked so excited for her party, especially when all of us said we'll be coming.
"It's just you guys and some of my classmates," Kayla said. "It's gonna be so much fun!"
I smiled. "It is."
I'm not looking forward to whatever she thinks as fun. I'm more interested in the food that will be served.
Mmm... I wonder what kind of snackedy snacks they would have...
"I'm really looking forward to it," I said, imagining desserts and other savoury snacks beautifully arranged on a platter before me. "Thanks for inviting me, Kayla. You're the best."
Kayla smiled. "Thanks!"
Now, I just need to think of a gift to give her. And I know just the person to ask.
I finished my food and got up. "Luna, you coming?"
Luna looked surprised and nodded, then quickly finished her meal and got up. "Sure. To the library, right?"
"Yeah, but I wanna get some biscuits from the shop," I said, grabbing my bag.
Luna quietly followed me to the cooperative shop as I went up to the aisle beside the counter to get a few packs of biscuits and those mints that Barbara recommended. Luna went to the refrigerator and grabbed a juice box before rejoining me at the counter.
"So... what are you gifting Kayla?" I asked as the student cashier handled my payment.
"A bracelet," Luna said. "What about you? What you getting for her?"
I shrugged. "Was about to ask you for some advice.
Luna paid for her juice and started following me out. "I'm not sure..."
"Come on, you're her friend," I said. "What does she like doing?"
Luna frowned. "I'm not all that close with her, compared to Lydia. She's always with Kayla. You should ask her."
"Any chance you can distract Kayla while I ask her?" I said. "You said it, the two are always together."
Luna chuckled in agreement. "Yeah, sure. They might be in the library. Try catching Lydia while she's taking books or something."
I sighed. "I'll try."

Just as Luna said, Kayla and Lydia walked into the library, waving at us as they came to our table. The two sat down and started talking softly about this and that, with us joining in once in a while.
"I'm gonna go see if there's anything nice to read," Kayla got up and made a beeline for the English fiction shelf.
I immediately took the chance and called Lydia. "Lydia, I need to talk to you."
"What is it?" Lydia asked, placing her phone down.
"It's about Kayla," Lydia's face grew a little suspicious. "Her birthday is this Saturday and I have no clue what to get for her."
Lydia's face softened. "Oh! To be honest, I wasn't sure what I should get for her as well. I just got her a bottle of perfume from Holmes. It's my favourite brand, cheap and smells nice."
I nodded. "That sounds good. Anything else that she would like?"
Lydia shrugged. "I am honestly not sure."
Now that was a bust... looks like I have to come up with one myself.
I need to go to the Do-It Shop later...

"So what are you getting her?" Charlene asked, looking at the shelf of quaint bags.
I sighed. "I am so not sure..."
"What about this?" Charlene said, taking a bag off the shelf.
I frowned, shaking my head. "Not enough. Too lame. I wanna get her something useful."
"Well, she can use this bag for her lunch or something," Charlene suggested.
That does seem like an idea. I took the bag from her and looked at it. It was cute, with a giant rose on it, but getting someone just a bag that costs five bucks seems a bit lame.
"I think I'll get this for her," I said as I took the bag and placed it in the trolley. "But I still feel like I should get her something else."
Charlene nodded. "Sure. Let's look around a bit and find something else."
We went around and eventually, I spotted this cute notebook set that came a few pens and a mechanical pencil and a pretty pink dust-free rubber. I grabbed that and placed it in the trolley. It was cheap too. The notebook also came individually so I took one for myself as well.
"Alright, I'm done for Kayla," I grinned at Charlene. "You want anything else?"
"Let's go to the snack section," Charlene chuckled.
I nodded and followed her downstairs.