The Sleeping Beauty

Mom carefully carried Charles in her arms and brought him to our home through the back door. I don't like the idea of bringing trouble home, but since said trouble is in bigger trouble now... it seems like we don't have much of a choice.
We watched as Mom gently put him down on the sofa, letting out soft whimpers as she quietly sobbed. Charles looked pale, but he was hardly hurt, save for the small bruise on the side of his forehead. Charlene got the first-aid kit and handed it to Mom, who wordlessly sat herself in front of him and tended to the bruise. Chris watched, his tail stiff and eyes squinted. I sighed and nudged him, making him turn to look at me with a growl, which I returned.
"What's wrong with you?" Chris bellowed.
"Nothing, just wondering why you look so angry," I admitted.
Chris motioned his snout towards Mom. "It pisses me off to see Mom handling him with such mercy and gentleness after what he did to us. I don't blame her, but... it just feels wrong."
I can't argue that it doesn't. It does make my blood boil to an extent, especially when remembering how this was the same man that had her bawling and begging for his love, all because she was something she didn't choose to be. I shook my head and turned away, completely understanding how Chris was feeling.
Mom gave Charles a light lick on the forehead and curled up beside the sofa like a sad dog, letting out a sad whimper as she watched over him. It kinda reminds me of a movie where the dog feels sad after accidentally biting its owner, laying down in front of him with a sad expression in its doggy eyes. It was a comedic scene since the owner had tried to sneak into his own house like an intruder, forgetting the fact that he owned a guard dog.
It was just like that, only it wasn't a comedic scene from a movie. Mom was genuinely worried for Charles as he laid on the couch, unconscious. I turned to look at the clock and frowned as I noticed that it was an hour past midnight. There was still hours before I could transform back into a human. How would Charles react if he wakes up before that? I don't care about his feelings, I just don't want the neighbours to hear his piercing screams and think that we're trying to torture someone.
"I'm gonna turn in," Chris bluntly said, turning in the direction of the stairs.
I frowned as I watched him leave. What should I do now?
"Charlie, go with him," Charlene said. "I'll stay here with Mom."
I nodded and gave Mom a rub on the back before making my way up the stairs as well. There wasn't anything that I could do, anyway. I just hope that Charles is okay, for Mom's sake, at least. She'd be devastated if something bad happens to him.

***

I was a little surprised when I woke up as a werewolf and yawned as I sat up. I went over to my mirror and got a good look at my wolf self and transformed back into my human self before getting dressed. I simply put on a t-shirt and shorts before making my way downstairs, trying to fix my scruffy hair as I went down. Charles was still unconscious on the sofa while Mom had fallen asleep, still in werewolf form.
I went over and woke her up. "Mom?" I called, pulling at her furry arm.
Mom let out a soft moan as she sat up, her tail brushing against my leg as she moved. She looked up at me and let out a big wolfy yawn, that made me yawn too, and gave me a look of surprise.
"It's morning?" Mom asked.
I nodded. "Yeah, Mom. It's eight."
Mom gasped and turned to Charles, evidently concerned that he was still asleep. She took his hand in her furry one and clasped it gently, carefully rubbing circles on the back of his wrist so that she doesn't accidentally scratch him with her claws.
"Mom, you should change," I pointed out. "You're still a werewolf."
"I'm always a werewolf, Charlie," Mom said in a low voice. "Have always been."
"No, I meant transform," I awkwardly added. "It's morning, Mom."
"Oh..." Mom almost looked disappointed that I ruined the moment. "You're, right, I should get changed."
She put his hand down and was about to leave when she realised that Charles's hand was still linked with hers. He was tightly holding onto her furry hand, looking meek and soft in her larger clawed paw. He was still out-cold, but somehow, his hand was responsive. A tear rolled off Mom's eye as she gently, with difficulty, pried his hand off hers and hurried up the stairs.
I looked down at Charles's sleeping face. He looked a little better now than he had last night, all cold and pale. I thought about waking him for a moment but decided against it since I might get in trouble. I turned around to leave just when Chris came down the stairs, a werewolf with loose shorts and a tank top.
"You still haven't changed back?" I asked him in surprise.
Chris let out a tremendous yawn and loudly scratched his back, his ear twitching. "Too lazy..." his glowing gaze fell on Charles. "He's still here?"
"Yeah..." I sighed. "I wonder where Char is..."
"Where's Mom?" Chris sat himself down on the armchair, looking unusually tall because of his long werewolf legs and arms.
"She went to change," I sighed and sat down on the loveseat. "Poor Mom... she slept on the floor all night."
Chris shook his head, leaning forward on the couch. "All for this jerk."
I smirked. "He actually held tight onto Mom's hand earlier. Not sure if he was aware of it or not."
Chris shrugged and leaned back. "Adorable." He said blandly. "Anyway, what's for breakfast?"
"You know, you actually look so funny now?" I grinned. "A werewolf in a tank top and shorts, leaning on a comfy armchair."
"I somehow like it better like this," Chris straightened himself. "Especially because it's still cold outside."
"Yeah, that's true," I nodded.
A moan suddenly came from Charles, gaining both of our attention. He put a hand on his forehead and rolled over, falling straight onto the ground with a loud thud, letting out a yelp in surprise.
"Honey, what was that?" Mom's voice came from upstairs, followed by her running down with Charlene at her heels. "What happened?"
The two of them stopped short when they spotted Charles on the ground, fumbling to get up. Mom immediately ran to help him onto his feet. Charles stumbled and nearly fell over.
"Careful!" Mom exclaimed, pulling his arm up. "Honey, you okay?"
"Get your hands off me!" Charles exclaimed, roughly pulling his arm away. "Why did you bring me here? You kidnapped me, didn't you."
"It's ironic how you told us to always be grateful for whatever help we receive," Chris piped up in a gruff voice. "But look at you now."
Charles turned to Chris and screamed when he spotted him as a werewolf. He unsteadily stepped back and fell over the couch, hitting his head against the armrest and passing out once again.
"Gosh, he's a Sleeping Beauty!" Chris laughed monstrously.
"Oh, quit it," Charlene groaned, giving him a backhand. "First, you get out of that getup. Why are you still a werewolf when it's already morning?"
Chris frowned and instantly turned back into a human, leaving a pile of fallen brown hair beside him. He looked at it silently and then turned to us. "Yeah... I'll get that cleaned up."
Mom turned back to Charles and sighed, seating herself down beside him. If it wasn't for Mom being so worried, this would actually be a very funny situation.
"Mom, let's go make breakfast," Charlene sighed, squeezing her shoulder.
"What about your father?"
It pains me to realise how she still sees him as part of the family, unlike how he sees us.
"Leave him for now, Mom," Charlene gently said. "We'll make something for him too."
Mom reluctantly got up and followed her to the kitchen, sparing Charles one last look as she exited the room. I had no choice but to go with them too since I don't want to be here when Charles comes to. It might end with broken bones.
And it won't be me on the receiving end.