More Drama

I scowled as I spotted Charles on our driveway. I turned to Barbara to lead her out, but she let out an exclamation.
"Is that your dad?" Barbara excitedly asked.
I didn't answer, so she turned back to him. I scowled and turned away in disgust. Charles looked just as surprised too, but nodded at her.
"Oh!" Barbara grinned. "Nice to meet you, Mr. Foreman, but I have to get going now."
She waved at him, then at me, and skipped off down the road to her house. I turned back to Charles and groaned, then pulled him into the house.
"What brings you here now?" I asked, stopping in the living room.
"Is your mother home?" Charles asked, frowning slightly as he looked around him.
"She's at work," I said. "What's up?"
Chris showed up, as if casually coming up, evidently wanting to see the drama. Well, he got drama, just not the kind he expected.
"What are you doing here?" Chris grimaced at the sight of him.
"That's what I wanna know too," I agreed, turning back to Charles. "I've had a long day, one with so much drama. Please make this quick."
Charles sighed. "The hearing is next week."
"We know," Chris said. "We'll be there. And we aren't gonna put up a fight."
"You've already won, don't waste your time on a lawyer," I added. "Also, you came all the way here just to say that?"
Charles awkwardly held up the bag he was holding. "I... I got you guys this. It's a burnt cheesecake."
"Why?" Chris and I said in unison.
"For rescuing me the other day," Charles admitted begrudgingly. "I felt kinda bad for yelling at you guys though you only saved me. Thank you."
Neither of us reached for the cake so he set it down on the coffee table instead. He awkwardly stood for a moment before continuing.
"I... I also wanted to say, be careful," Charles said, much to our surprise. "Be safe. I don't want anything... to interrupt the hearing."
I groaned. All this fuss because he didn't want his precious divorce taken away.
"Yeah, right back atcha," Chris said in a bored tone. "That cake isn't poisoned or anything, right?"
Charles shook his head. "I'll be going now." He nodded at me and abruptly turned to leave, looking back once just as he left our driveway. Charlene then walked in, holding a ladle, and peeked out to see if Charles was gone before closing the door before turning to us.
"That was so uncalled for," Charlene remarked. Her gaze fell on the plastic bag on the table, clearly a cake box inside it. "He brought cake?"
"A burnt cheesecake," I shrugged. "He told us to stay safe because he didn't want anything to interrupt the hearing."
"Oh, we wouldn't miss it," Chris shrugged. "And we told him that."
Charlene sighed. "Guys, remember. None of are going to fight against Charles. Okay?"
We both nodded.
"But what's with the cake though?" Charlene asked, making her way towards the cake to take a look. "Is it a form of bribery?"
"He says it's for rescuing him the other day," I said. "A token of gratitude and apology for yelling at us."
Charlene nodded slowly and rushed off to the kitchen. We went after her and continued helping her with the pasta.

"Charles came and brought us a burnt cheesecake?" Mom asked in surprise after we explained whatever happened. "As a way of apologising?"
"And also so that we don't miss the hearing," I said.
Chris groaned. "I'm seriously hoping he isn't planning anything sinister."
"Same," Charlene nodded.
Mom shook her head. "No. I don't think he's planning anything, I don't think he's planning to cancel this divorce. I think he wants us to not fight, to make sure that he does win and get this divorce."
We silently nodded and started passing the large bowl of pasta around. It had a generous helping of chicken as well, especially for our growing crave for meat due to the moon.
"We'll eat the cake later," Mom said. "It may be from Charles, but..." she shrugged, smirking slightly. "Who can say no to a burnt cheesecake?"
"Not us, that's for sure," I smirked. "Oh, and I forgot to tell you. That Barbie girl invaded us as well."
"What did she want now?" Mom immediately scowled.
I explained, over our meal, how Barbara suddenly showed up and apologised for accusing me and for what her friend had done. Mom listened while munching on her pasta, then shook her head.
"So much drama," Mom remarked, finishing the last of her pasta. "Charlie, don't hang out with them much."
I swallowed my food as I shook my head. "I won't. They're only my recess buddies."
"Good, keep it that way and nothing else," Mom said, cleaning the sauce off her plate now. "You barely even know them and they're already pulling you into conflicts."
"Don't get involved with them much," Charlene added, taking a sip of water. "They don't seem very right."
I snorted, bringing the glass up to my lips. "Tell me about it. That girl that came earlier? She ambushed me right when she showed up in class."
"She seems psychotic if you ask me," Chris added next, right after licking his plate clean. "Also, the deal is still up if you want me to replace her foundation with mud and her lip gloss with slime."
"Nah, it's fine," I shook my head, a smile on my face. "She still came all the way to apologise for what happened. That takes some courage."
"It does," Charlene agreed, getting up. "Alright, guys. Help me bring these to the kitchen."

We watched a movie before bed and it was actually a really good one. It's been hours since I last saw my phone and it was only now did I notice a text from Barbara.
We have something for you
Whatever it is, I don't even want it. But I couldn't help but feel a little curious at what they're planning. I sure hope it isn't Luna's idea, I have enough trouble from her as it is.
I put my phone aside and pulled out my diary. It's been a while since I wrote anything in it, and today seems like a good day, seeing how it could go up to ten pages of today's events. What with Luna, Barbara, Luna again, Barbara again, then Charles. There were other things too, like the tasty pasta, the movie, and some family time. It was truly a very eventful day.
And it s finally coming to its end.