vii. he's not my boyfriend

ILLUSION, 007.

REAL LIFE.

"BRADY, OH MY GOSH." layla gasped when she realized who she bumped into. "it's been so long. how are you?"

"i'm good." brady mumbled. "you?"

"i've been okay. wow, i haven't talked to you since..." she trailed off and brady realized the same thing she did: the last time they spoke was the day they broke up.

"yeah." brady nodded. "it's been a while. three years, in fact."

"three years." layla sighed. she hesitated for a second. "listen, brady."

"you don't need to apologize." brady told her, softly. "i know why you did it."

"no, i really do need to apologize." layla said. 

"okay." 

"i'm sorry, brady. i know we really liked each other and everything was perfect. but...we were just so young and everything was going so well, so fast. and then i just...well, i just panicked."

"layla, it's fine. you don't have to explain anything to me. we were fifteen. the end was inevitable." brady told her. he really meant it.

"yeah." layla nodded. "um, anyway, it really was nice seeing you."

"right back at you. i'll see you around?" brady asked, hopefully. layla smiled at him. 

"sure."

"brady, what the fuck?" connor asked once brady arrived at the table.

"what?" brady asked, innocently. cameron narrowed his eyes. 

"were you not just talking to layla allen?" he asked. "the same girl who broke your heart?"

"she did not break my heart." brady insisted. connor raised an eyebrow. 

"are you sure? you haven't dated a girl for more than a month since you two broke up."

"i just didn't have feelings for any of them." brady argued. 

"is it that or is it because you're scared to actually have feelings for anyone because you're scared they'll end it like she did?" connor asked. brady went quiet. he knew connor was right. connor sighed, his expression turning sympathetic. "look, brady, you can't still be hung up over a girl from three years ago. it's been three years."