i. he so wants me

ILLUSION, 001.

REAL LIFE

"MARYAH, GET THE DOOR!" CAMERON samuels yelled at his step-sister. maryah rolled her eyes as she stood up from her spot on the couch and walked toward the front door. when she opened it, she was face to face with her brother's best friends, the noon twins. 

"hi ryah!" brady noon grinned at her. it's important to mention that maryah has had the biggest crush on brady since they first met three years ago. the only downside? brady was captain of the hockey team. and maryah swore to herself to never, ever, go for the jocks. however, the fact that he had just called her by her nickname made her insides feel weak. 

"hey, brady." maryah smiled back. "hi, connor." she greeted the other twin.

"what's up, maryah? how's jess doing?" connor asked, giving her a fist bump. he was dating one of maryah's best friends, jessica blair. the two had been together for a little over a year.

"she's doing good. she should be over in a couple of hours."

"awesome!" connor flashed a smile before heading inside the house. brady stayed outside, his gaze lingering on maryah's shirt. a smirk grew on his face. 

"i should've known you're a one direction fan." he said. maryah's face burned as she looked down to her shirt: a 2014 'where we are tour' t-shirt. 

"it's old." she said. "i was like nine when i saw them. the only reason it still fits is because the only size they had left was adult large."

"okay." brady's face held an amused expression and maryah cursed herself for talking too much. 

"do you want to go inside?" maryah asked. brady nodded. 

"sure." he motioned for her to go inside. "ladies first." he said before following maryah inside. "did you have a good winter break?" he asked her. maryah looked around to make sure he was talking to her. 

"it was okay." she said. "a little boring. how about you? you turned eighteen, right? on the thirtieth?"

"yeah!" brady's eyes lit up. "you know my birthday?"

"cameron mentioned it. i probably should have texted, though. i'm sorry." she apologized. brady waved her off. 

"no, don't worry about it." he said. "it's not like we're really friends, anyway."