iv. just a simple outing

ILLUSION, 004. 

REAL LIFE

REAL LIFE

LATER THAT DAY, MARYAH WALKED in the direction of her math class, the class right before lunch. cara-jay had somehow gotten sick after her date with matt (he insists that it has nothing to do with him since he hasn't gotten sick in years), so she was by herself. suddenly, she felt someone start walking beside her. 

"hi!" maryah whipped her head up and was met with the smiling face of kai anand. 

"kai! hey, what's up?" maryah grinned at him. kai shrugged. 

"nothing much. i just thought you might like some company walking to math." his cheeks turned red as he shut his eyes, as if internally calling himself an idiot. 

"i'd love your company, thank you." maryah said. she found it cute how the boy would get awkward trying to flirt with her.

"so, about that one direction karaoke?" kai asked her. "do we want this to be a casual thing where we could invite other friends, or do we want to be, you know, just us two."

"like a date?"

"what! no! not a date. it won't be a date. just a simple outing between two...friends who just happen to be a boy and a girl and who like the same music."

"i don't mind if it's just us." maryah told him. kai smiled at her. 

"okay, great! um, i can pick you up? or we could meet there? or..."

"you can pick me up if you want." maryah said, trying not to laugh at his nervousness. "i'll send you my address when we get closer to the day."

"and one last question: um, would you mind giving me your number?" he asked just as they approached the math classroom. maryah nodded. 

"oh, of course!" she pulled her phone out of her pocket and turned it on to pull up her contact. in the process, kai caught a glimpse of what she was listening to."

"you listen to sza, too?" he asked. maryah looked at him. 

"who doesn't listen to sza?" she asked, giving him the phone.

"what about sza?" brady appeared on the other side of maryah. kai looked up after putting his number in. 

"oh, hi." he gave the phone back to maryah. "you're brady, right?" he asked. brady furrowed his eyebrows.