xii. my little sister kinda

ILLUSION, 012.

REAL LIFE

MARYAH WALKED ALONGSIDE JESSICA out of their last period class. they walking toward the cafeteria doors, where they usually met up with cara-jay, matt, and since recently, kai.

"i genuinely don't understand." jessica told her. "connor is being so weird about that project thing he has with cameron. he's so hell-bent on getting me to see it. it's a school project. there is no reason to be that hype about it."

"he's just excited." maryah told her. "he's proud of himself."

"which is great. i love that he's proud of himself, but do i really need to see it?" she asked. "i'm meeting him in the senior lot after school and if he's wasting my time, i'm gonna kill him."

"don't kill him." matt said, walking over with kai. "your very loving boyfriend worked hard on this school project. he just wants you to see his hard work!"

"that's exactly what brady said to me!" jessica exclaimed. "this is insane."

"hi ryah." kai put his arm around maryah's shoulder, kissing her temple. maryah wanted to melt into a puddle on the spot. why the hell was she thinking about brady yesterday when kai treats her like this? she cannot break

"hey gang!" cara-jay approached them. "ready to see this mystery project that connor keeps talking about?" she winked. 

"you know what it is!" jessica accused. she looked at the rest of her friends. "have the rest of you already seen it, too?"

"we can't ruin the surprise." matt shook his head. "let's go." he led the group toward the senior parking lot. 

"he said to meet by his car. god, why couldn't he just show me at lunch?" jessica grumbled as they made their way to connor's car. when they got there, however, there was already a crowd of kids there. 

"jess!" connor emerged from the crowd holding a bouquet of flowers and an extravagant sign that was decorated with pipe cleaners, craft pom-poms, and glitter. the sign read, "will you sparkle my night at prom?"

"oh my god." jessica covered her mouth with her hands in surprise. 

"jessica lorraine blair, will you make me the happiest man on earth and be my date to prom?" connor asked her, giving her the bouquet of flowers. jessica laughed.