17: A REVELATION

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As Athena makes her way to the Academy, the warm, sunny day does nothing to ease her nerves. Treech's likelihood of survival could rest entirely on this presentation. The Academy looms ahead, its austere columns a stark reminder of the gravity of the day. Persephone, her steps light and carefree, falls into step beside her, entirely too optimistic for such an apprehensive day.

"We should grab something for Treech and Mizzen," Persephone suggests, her voice a melody amidst the whispers of the Capitol's awakening, "They're going to need all their strength for the presentations".

Athena nods, feeling the pangs of her own hunger gnaw at her resolve. She'd been so worried about the presentations that she'd forgotten to eat anything all day. 

"Yeah, you're right," she concedes, humming in approval.

The girls stop by their usual market and together navigate the bustling streets, selecting sandwiches bursting with fresh greens and meats and fruit so ripe it perfumes the air.

As they approach the Academy, carrying their bags, a sense of solemnity settles over Athena. The mentors gather like sentinels in the lobby, their faces etched with concern and determination. Lysistrata's eyes find hers, lighting up instantly.

"Athena! You're okay!" Lysistrata beams, quickly jogging over.

Her joy catches the attention of the other mentors who begin to approach, surprised to see Athena. As the crowd gathers, Athena suddenly finds herself feeling uncomfortable with all the attention.

"They said you were in hospital!"

"Did you really almost die?"

"Glad to see you back!"

The cacophony of noise makes Athena's head spin, but luckily Persephone interjects, "Alright, alright, you lot are like a pack of vultures! Relax, breathe, you can ask her after the meeting, 'kay?"

The crowd reluctantly disperses, Athena sending a silent thanks to Persephone who simply nudges her and grins. Lysistrata stays, shuffling a little awkwardly on her feet before saying, "Is everything alright? Have you heard from Coriolanus or Felix?"

Persephone's voice is a hushed whisper, "Coriolanus... Felix... they're both laid up in the hospital. Coriolanus seems okay, but he isn't waking up anytime soon".

Athena's response is sharp as a flint as she mutters, "Here's hoping he never does."

A stifled giggle escapes Persephone, quickly smothered by a reprimanding glance from Lysistrata. 

"You're so mean," Lysistrata chides, although Athena can see a flicker of a smile on her features.

"Oh, also, apparently Dean Highbottom has some kind of announcement to make today," Lysistrata remembers, unease marring her tone.