03: FIRST CONTACT

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Early the next morning, Athena stands on the dusty train platform in her Academy Rouge, clutching her notebook and waiting impatiently for the train to show up. She had spent hours last night studying the footage of the previous Games, working out which strategies were most successful and which ones she could use for her tribute. She'd be lying to herself if she didn't feel the slightest bit nervous, she'd never been in close proximity to District people before besides the well-mannered Sejanus. However, Athena knows she has to swallow her pride and get the job done. In her notebook are endless scores of questions to ask her tribute, ranging from his strengths and weaknesses, his hobbies and interests, his family and friends. She has a plan to make him stand out in the Hunger Games, to win the favour of the audience and win her that Plinth Prize, but in order to do so she needs to get to know him. No matter what, she knows she's ready.

Or so she thought until she sees Coriolanus Snow approaching her with an expression of both surprise and irritation. He had always tried to outdo her in everything from grades to extracurricular activities, so it satisfies Athena greatly to know she's once again one-upping him at his own game.

"Good morning, Spring," he says in an effort to sound somewhat polite, stopping next to her, "What a coincidence to see you here".

"It's no coincidence," Athena replies coldly, "I'm surprised you didn't expect to see me".

Coriolanus shrugs, ignoring her subtle dig, "I suppose we had the same idea. After all, both of us are very dedicated to our assignments, aren't we?"

Athena inwardly rolls her eyes but outwardly maintains a pleasant expression. She knows he's mocking her, but she can't bring herself to retaliate. Besides, Coriolanus is stuck with the runt girl from District Twelve and therefore possesses no more power over this assignment than she does. If anything, Athena believes herself to have the advantage.

The train eventually arrives, screeching to a halt with sparks flying off the tracks. Upon closer inspection, however, Athena discovers it's hardly a train at all, more like a convoy of cattle cars. She leaves Coriolanus' side, slowly walking towards the wooden carts in curiosity. Of course, she hadn't expected the tributes to have first-class treatment but this felt a little excessively harsh, even to her. Scores of peacekeepers patrol the platform, opening the doors and roughly ushering the tributes out into the Capitol. Athena scans the crowd, looking for her tribute. 

She glances to the far end of the platform, past where Coriolanus had already homed in on Lucy Gray, and notices the familiar grey jacket and hat. A new spring in her step, Athena quickly approaches the boy. He has not yet seen her and is instead focused on helping his District partner down onto the platform.

Athena comes to a stop behind them, clearing her throat in an effort to be noticed. She luckily doesn't have to suffer the humiliation of clearing her throat once more as the two tributes from District Seven turn to face her almost immediately. The Capitol girl can't help but stare for a moment. The female tribute, who can't be any older than fifteen, has tear marks streaked down her face and dirt smeared across her skin whilst her fluffy red hair is sticking out at odd angles, most likely from having just woken up. However, it's not the girl that interests Athena. Her tribute, Treech, looks so different in person. Gone are the reddened features and tear trails, replaced by strikingly soft hazel eyes and a mop of dark brown curls peeking out from under his faded hat. Up close, she notices he has a light dusting of freckles across his nose and cheeks. He appears less meek in person, staring at her quizzically as if she's a particularly tricky puzzle he can't quite figure out. For the first time in her life, Athena almost feels a pang of... something. She hopes it's just anxiety nausea.