09: THE TIPPING POINT

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

With hasty steps and a purposeful stride, Athena navigates the polished halls of the Academy, her heels clicking sharply against the marble floor. The air is thick with the grieving whispers of other students and mentors alike, a collective mourning for Arachne's untimely demise. But Athena's mind is occupied elsewhere, ensnared in a moment she dares not unravel. Remembering Treech's farewell, the way her heart fluttered as she walked away; the thought disturbs her. She cannot be thinking like that, not even for a moment. It could ruin everything.

She squeezes her eyes shut for a moment, compelling herself to remember her real goal: to win that Plinth Prize. 

Coriolanus poses a real threat now. After attempting to save Arachne on the cameras, he's garnered quite the following for he and his tribute, Lucy Gray. The people of the Capitol just love a hero.

As Athena passes him now, approaching Heavensbee Hall, she can hear Pup and Clemensia's condolences towards him.

"I'm so sorry about Arachne, Coryo".

"What you did for her was so brave".

It makes Athena want to vomit. Rolling her eyes so hard that they almost roll back into her head, she glances over to the trio, Clemensia with tears streaming down her face and Pup with a solemn expression. Coriolanus, however... well, Athena could see the pride on his face from a mile off. She wouldn't be surprised if he had acted all concerned for Arachne just for a few brownie points from the media.

As she passes through the doors of Heavensbee Hall, a soft voice halts her in her tracks, causing her head to whip around. 

"Athena, I... I heard about Arachne," the soft murmur comes from Lysistrata, her eyes downcast, "I'm sorry you had to be there". 

Surprised by the gentle sincerity in Lysistrata's tone, Athena finds herself pausing, an unfamiliar tug at the corner of her lips. The two girls are barely acquaintances, they'd perhaps said all of three words to each other their entire lives before now. However, Lysistrata is one of the few students that Athena doesn't hold some sort of grudge against. 

"I didn't know her well," Athena confesses bluntly, although her voice is devoid of its usual sass, "But thank you."

They stand in silence for a moment before Lysistrata hesitantly broaches the subject of their tributes. 

"Jessup... I haven't met him yet," she admits, a frown marring her delicate features, "I can't help but wonder if he's doing alright". 

Turning to face Lysistrata fully, Athena says with a wry smile, "Well, I went by the zoo this morning to check on my tribute, seems like Jessup is alright. He was fast asleep when I got there".

"Oh, good, good," Lysistrata huffs slightly in relief, a little smile adorning her soft, deer-like features, "And Treech? How is he?"

Athena pauses for a moment, fighting to stop her earlier thoughts from resurfacing.