14: AN EXPLOSIVE START

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Athena heads down the long drive towards the arena, her heart pounding in sync with the crunch of gravel underfoot. The Capitol's sun casts long shadows, but none as dark as the looming structure before her. In a few days, this is where the Treech will be fighting for his life in a death game while Athena can do nothing but watch. Her lack of control over the situation frightens her, a flush of anxiety rising up her neck. She spots the cluster of mentors, a tight-knit huddle of anticipation and strategy. She notices the group containing Persephone, Lysistrata and Sejanus - alongside a rather uncomfortable-looking Hilarius - and approaches them quickly.

As she nears the group, Hilarius catches her eye, his gaze still smouldering from their earlier encounter. With a curt nod, he breaks away, joining another group, his back a silent rebuke. Athena's lip twitches; she's unfazed and even slightly amused by Hilarius' pettiness.

Persephone's voice, light as a feather yet sharp as a tack, cuts through the murmurs. 

"It's just a bite, Lyssie. Jessup's tough, I'm sure he'll be okay," she soothes, but her eyes betray her concern.

Lysistrata wrings her hands, the image of worry etched into her features, "I think it's infected, though, Persephone... it looked so swollen".

Athena's arrival goes unnoticed until Sejanus turns to her, his face a mix of relief and weariness.

"Athena, you're here! How are you holding up?" he inquires, genuine concern lacing his words after their last encounter at Arachne's funeral.

With a glance that speaks volumes, Athena reassures him with a small smile, "I'm fine, Sejanus. Really," and nods calmly.

The conversation shifts as Persephone leans in, lowering her voice to a conspiratorial whisper.

 "Coriolanus was up to something at the zoo this morning," she divulges with a dramatic flair, "Mizzen said he saw him talking to Coral... and Treech".

Athena nods solemnly, a suspicious frown etching onto her face. 

"Treech mentioned it too," she adds, "Coriolanus was offering them food according to him".

A ripple of unease passes through the group at this revelation, but Sejanus is quick to defend. Athena had expected no less of Sejanus, who considers Coriolanus as a friend of his. Whilst Athena appreciates Sejanus' ability to see the best in people, she believes that his faith in Coriolanus is gravely misplaced.

"He's probably just trying to secure allies for Lucy Gray," he suggests optimistically, "He's getting desperate".

Yet, despite the warmth shared among friends, an undercurrent of apprehension runs deep. They stand on the precipice of uncertainty, their camaraderie tinged with the unsettling knowledge that in the Hunger Games, not all is as it seems.