05: A FATAL MISTAKE

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After class, the mentors rush to the cafeteria to eat, all of the previous verbal sparring in the classroom had worked up an appetite. Athena picks up a tray of food and scans the lunch hall, eyes narrowing at each table and face. However, it is not a seat she is trying to find.

She spots Sejanus walking down the staircase alone, apparently zoned out in a daydream as he wistfully stares off into space. She takes a breath before making her way towards him, purpose in her stride.

"Sejanus!" she calls as he reaches the bottom of the stairs. He immediately perks up in her direction, stiffening slightly when he sees that Athena is the one who called him. Whilst Athena had never been openly nasty towards him like many of the other students, he had often caught her rolling her eyes at his remarks or sending him glares whenever he spoke favourably of the Districts. However, the kind-hearted Sejanus does not blame her for her shortcomings. He knows of Athena's family (his father had frequently attended their galas) and their great wealth and influence over Panem had led them to be heavy contributors during the war, funding hordes of peacekeepers to keep their business in District Seven operational. Their prejudiced views of the Districts had no doubt trickled down into Athena's mind, therefore Sejanus finds himself feeling slightly less confrontational towards her than his other peers.

"Athena, you alright?" Sejanus responds to her call politely as she stops in front of him, managing a friendly smile in the hope that Athena doesn't berate him for defending her in class as Coriolanus had done.

She nods and manages a flicker of a smile, hesitating as she scrambles to find her words. Sejanus raises his eyebrows, prompting her to speak.

"Listen, Sejanus, I..." she says quickly, glancing down at her tray before looking back up at him, "I just wanted to say thank you. You know, for what you said in class. I know we haven't always been on the best terms..."

Sejanus breaks out into a smile, replying modestly, "Seriously, don't worry about it, it's no big deal".

Athena gives him a look, saying with an almost teasing smile, "I wasn't finished, Sejanus".

The boy raises his eyebrows in amusement, gesturing for her to continue.

"I want to apologise for the way I've treated you. I shouldn't have been so judgemental," Athena says, looking at him sincerely, "I'm sorry".

Sejanus looks at her, a hint of surprise in his features that's quickly overshadowed with a grateful smile as he says, "Thank you, Athena, it means a lot".

Breathing a sigh of relief in the knowledge that he accepts her apology, Athena smiles and places her lunch tray on a nearby table, turning back to Sejanus and holding out her hand.

"So... friends?" Athena probes hopefully, raising her eyebrows with a noticeable smile.

Sejanus chuckles, not hesitating to shake her hand warmly and say, "Friends".