Chapter Fourteen ~ The Brother and The Bestfriend

Regulus Black: Sunday 21st October 1975

(13:59pm)

Regulus forgot he had agreed to meet Lily and Remus in the library at 2pm. He could barely look at Lily when she greeted him this morning and insisted on walking to the hall with him around lunchtime. She had talked most of the way so he hadn't had to talk to her much, meaning he hadn't had to risk letting it slip that he had kissed her boyfriend. And he liked her boyfriend. And that he may be slowly falling in love with-

"Hello Regulus!". Regulus slammed shut his book.

"Hello Lily, hello Remus,". Lily grinned and Remus nodded in greeting. There was a glint in his eye that told him Remus hadn't forgotten last night at all. In fact he was likely questioning how Regulus was able to calmly sit opposite Lily knowing he had been in a bed with her boyfriend less than 24 hours prior. And incase Remus really was wondering, Regulus wasn't calm at all, in fact he was on the verge of getting up, slamming his book on the table and yelling "I kissed James!". Which he did not do. Not just for his sake but for James', Lily's, Remus', Madam Pince and just about every other person in the library.

"Right, I say we start with Herbology, our weakest topic as a collective," said Lily, taking a herbology textbook out of her bag. Remus raised an eyebrow.

"In a way, yes, you're right,". He too produced a herbology textbook from midair. Regulus smirked. Alot of the time, when he was with Remus, they battled over who was smarter and who knew more powerful spells, wether it be charms or defensive spells. So regulus also wordlessly summoned the same herbology textbook from one of the shelves. Remus laughed lightly, then he looked around.

"James!" he called. Regulus froze. James?! James wasn't here was he? Lily squealed and jumped up, suddenly running towards somebody, also approaching her from a nearby bookshelf. James. Apparently, he was here. Regulus glanced at Remus who was watching him expectantly as though waiting for him to do something.

"Don't run, cause then he's gonna know your avoiding him,".

"What're you talking about?".

"Regulus, don't be stupid I know you guys did something yesterday. Whatever it be, I know it wasn't something you should've done and I can see the both of you are beating yourselves up about it, just don't-".

"Reggie!". Regulus ran.

(14:20pm)

"Your such an idiot!".

"I know that, thanks Remus. That's all you've told me for the last 15 minutes,". Remus sighed and rolled his eyes. They were sat in the Gryffindor boys bedroom on Remus' bed. It'd been Regulus first thought of somewhere James wouldn't likely check to find him.

"I told you not to run,".

"And i told you I'm absolutely terrified to be in his presence again! Anyways, i told him until-".

"What actually happened, Regulus? If you dont tell me, I'll ask James,".

"Ask him then. Im not bothered if you know as long as you dont tell your boyfriend," said Regulus.

"Boyfriend?".

"My brother. Sirius Orion Black," Said Regulus, raising an eyebrow. Remus laughed. He really laughed. In fact he was close to tears he was laughing that much. Regulus was confused. Usually when Regulus mentioned Sirius like this, he smirked and said something witty back, he would never laugh uncontrollably.

"Re-".

"Regulus, as if Sirius could ever be my boyfriend," Remus said. Regulus raised an eyebrow.

"Could be,". Remus shook his head.

"He's too scared,". Regulus was now thoroughly confused.

"Scared?".

"Don't worry about it. Besides the point, this is about you and James," Remus said. Regulus sighed.

"Nothing is about me and James. Me and James isn't a thing," said Regulus. Remus smirked.

"Hes coming up,". Regulus raised an eyebrow.

"What? And how on earth would you-".

"Shh. 6th sense," Remus said, holding a finger to Regulus' lips. Regulus could only now faintly hear the sound of a loud boisterous voice on the stairs. Actually there was two of them.

"Regulus, how about we play them a little trick," Remus said, smirking, and looking at him. Regulus raised an eyebrow.

"But they never see us doing this, they're probably gonna get the wrong idea," Regulus murmured. Remus grinned.

"Exactly,". He and Regulus kicked off their shoes before climbing into Remus' bed. They did this sometimes when they needed to talk in absolute private. Or when they just needed someone to vent too.

"It was so crazy!" cried Sirius, bursting into the room. Regulus buried his head into Remus' chest to muffle his laughter.

"I know! It was like-".

"What the fuck is going on here?". The room was silent for a moment, then Remus spoke.

"Afternoon to you too, Sirius,". There was an edge to his voice that made Regulus think he may be annoyed. "And James,".

"Dont you dare act like this is normal, Lupin," Sirius snarled, arms folded.

"What isn't normal about it Sirius?" Asked Regulus, sitting up. Sirius' face twisted into a look of disgust.

"My best friend and my brother you prat, what is normal about it?". Regulus flinched. Certainly not a good time to tell him that that wasn't the best friend he was actually into.

"Well mea and him also happen to be best friends, Sirius," said Remus, rolling over so he was closer to Regulus. Regulus smirked.

"Well that's not fair!".

"What's not fucking fair about it Sirius! And why the fuck do you care so much?!".

"Well why shouldn't I?!" Yelled Sirius. "He's my brother!".

"He's my friend!".

"Your my friend!". Remus snorted, standing up now and approaching Sirius.

"Just your friend?" He said, normal volume now. "Really Sirius is that the game you wanna play right now? I've already told you I'm not standing for your bullshit anymore, especially-".

"Merlin Remus would you just shut up!" Sirius yelled. Remus snorted.

"Rich given that you started the whole thing," he said, folding his arms. Regulus watched Sirius' eyes dart over Remus for a moment before he turned and stormed out of the room. Remus rolled his eyes.

"I'll go talk to him," he muttered and before listening to any words of protest, he too left the room.

Then, James and Regulus were alone.