FIFTY

This chapter contains a third extended dream sequence crossover with the Super SOLDIER series by Cloud2367 here on AO3 at 
https://archiveofourown.org/works/51929917/chapters/131313133

You should definitely check it out, it's fun and worth the read!

— — — — — — —

While Jessie slept, I sat near her bed on a cushioned mat, thinking about everything that had happened that day. She'd had another brush with death. Two, in fact—Corneo stabbing her in the back and then his winged pet nearly blowing her off the cliff into a fatal fall not long after that. She didn't know it, but her hanging so precariously on the edge of the statue's hand by one arm with only a single blaze talon stuck in the rock to keep her from plummeting a thousand feet to the ground so far below had scared me just as much as it had her.

But most of all, my thoughts went back that strange burst of power Jessie had experienced, that flaming aura that for a moment had made the ground itself shake. I'd never heard of anything like it. Jessie hadn't just used the fire. She had become the fire, turning Rabzu into a blazing torch through sheer force of will. The power of it had amazed me, and I had the feeling that, if she could learn how to control it better and not let it drain her so completely, she might even be able to give Sephiroth a run for his money. With me at her side, of course.

Although Jessie had said she'd explain to me about her new power when we got back here, it was late now, just after midnight, and I knew she needed to rest for a while after all she'd endured on the mountain. I could wait. And fatigue was creeping up on me, too. I kept just a single light on for now, turned low, as I relaxed on the mat, mulled over what we'd all experienced today, and watched Jessie sleep.

She was beautiful, with her long auburn hair spread out all around her and spilling over the shoulders of her satin house robe as she rested on her side under the blanket. It was a deep blue, with patterns of lotus flowers and graceful wrens embroidered in white, and I found I liked it on her. Looking at her in that moment, so slim and small, it was a little hard for me to believe how strong she had become.

After about half an hour, the thin screen door slid softly open and Cid walked inside. He was carrying a small leather pouch in one hand, and after closing the door behind him, he brought the bag over to me. I had a pretty good idea of what was in there.

"Here's your materia, Cloud," Cid gave me the pouch. "Jessie's, too. I dunno how you two had it set up, but it's all there."

I nodded. "Thanks. Did everyone else get theirs?"

He showed me the green and blue orbs in his armlet. "Sure did. We ain't missin' a single one. Yuffie even threw in an extra as well. Absorbs energy whenever you use the materia it's connected to. It's this blue one here. She's okay, Cloud. A pain in the ass, but she's okay."

"That about sums her up," I agreed.

Then Cid looked at Jessie in concern. "How's she holdin' up?"

I followed his gaze. "Exhausted by whatever it was she did up there on the mountain, but she should be fine once she's rested."

"Good," he said. "Girl's got spirit. I like her."

Then Jessie opened her eyes, saw Cid, and smiled. "Hey, there. Did you stop by just to see me? I'm touched!"

"Sure did," he chuckled. "How're ya feelin'?"

"A little better than before, but still tired," she yawned.