FOUR

Late on our second day on the road since escaping from the Shinra tunnel and collapsing it behind us, we stopped in a wooded clearing to eat dinner and rest for a while before driving for a few more hours. We were in the lowlands now, having left the upper slopes behind, and had reached the southern end of the eastern mountains where they met the shorter Argen range that ran across their path. After following that line of peaks west for most of the day, we'd finally rounded the far edge and had a clear path south to Fort Condor.

As I checked on the bikes while Biggs worked getting the fire going and Wedge and Lena started on the food, I looked for a moment at the mountains rising up on our left. We were still pretty close to them, and I knew if we were to follow them east long enough, we'd eventually get to South Argen and its huge mythril mines. I was sorely tempted to go that way since Cloud and the others would have to go through there to get to Fort Condor from the marshlands. But after thinking about it for a while, I sighed and decided to stay on course.

I missed Cloud and the others and couldn't wait to see them again, but I knew we had to get to the fort as soon as we could to help prepare for the battle. We didn't have much time, which was why we'd spent so many hours on the road well into the night. We could've reached South Argen in a day from here, but Fort Condor was just as close. Cloud and the others would make it over there soon enough. And then we'd all get ready to kick some serious Shinra ass.

"Well, shit..." Biggs swore.

I looked over at him. "What's wrong, Biggs?"

He patted his pockets and grimaced as he knelt by the small pile of wood and kindling he'd arranged. "We're outta matches, Jessie. Knew I should've brought more of 'em with me."

"We're not gonna skip dinner, are we?" Wedge asked.

"Nope!" I smirked, lifting my index finger. "Not to worry! I can get this puppy lit. Just leave it to me, guys."

Lena nodded. "Magic?"

I drew one of my blaze talons, the one with the Fire materia. "Yep. Might wanna stand back first, though."

Wedge and Lena did, but Biggs stayed close, adjusting the circle of rocks he'd made around the little pit. The others had already set up the burgers and hot dogs on a makeshift grill over where the fire would be. Concentrating on my materia, I channeled the magic and directed it at the wood. It ignited in a sudden burst of flame that roared up from the small pile of sticks and twigs and swept over the food in a blazing rush of fire and heat that cooked it right away.

"Whoa!" Biggs exclaimed, falling backwards.

"Whoops!" I laughed, putting my weapon away. "Sorry about that, guys. I hope you like 'em well done."

Actually, the food was pretty good, and only a little charred. Wedge ate two burgers and three hot dogs, which was as always more than the rest of us. We all had our fill, though, and marshmallows on a stick for dessert. It was kinda fun, being outside like this. We'd decided it would be best to sleep outside and away from inns for now to keep outta sight and make it harder for Shinra to find us. We weren't done traveling for the day, but we decided to rest for an hour or so before getting back on the road. No tents yet, just the sleeping bags.

I wasn't tired enough to shut my eyes, so I kept watch while Wedge and the others dozed. When he started snoring, I gave him a light little smack to get him to roll over. It was late in the day, and the sun was on its slow way down as the fading daylight filtered through the branches of the trees. The only sounds were my friends' breathing, the crackling of the fire, and the gentle whisper of the wind.

Then there was another.

A faint rustling in the trees nearby, almost on the edge of hearing. I was starting to get used to the way the mako was enhancing my senses, and I was pretty sure the others wouldn't have heard it. The sound was getting steadily closer, as if someone was trying to sneak up on us. And doing a really good job of it, too. Whatever was out there was creeping up behind me, so I decided to act as if I hadn't heard anything. But as I sat next to the fire, I slowly let my hand drift down to the hilt of one of my blaze talons and tensed myself to move.