FOURTEEN

I lay in my bed in the fort's infirmary, bandaged and feeling a little better. At least on the outside. The doctor had given me something for the pain, so my back didn't hurt as much now. Biggs and Wedge hadn't left my side, and we'd all gotten some sleep here, me in the bed and the guys in their chairs. There weren't really separate rooms, but there was a curtain to give us some privacy. I could hear other patients nearby as well, people who'd been hurt in the battle like I was, and the doctor and nurses checked on me from time to time.

As much as I wanted to and no matter how much I tried, I couldn't move my legs. I felt them, just a little, but that was all. It was so strange, and I didn't know what to make of it. I'd been trying to keep up a brave front for the others, but now I just couldn't keep the tears from falling. The guys heard me crying and woke up.

"Hey, what's wrong, Lena?" Wedge asked, taking my hand.

I wiped my face. "I can't walk, Wedge. You know that. I just... I feel so scared. What if I stay like this the rest of my life?"

"Aerith said you'd heal up, remember?" he assured me.

"I know, I just can't help being afraid," I sighed.

Biggs, on the other side of the bed, took my shoulder. "Don't think too much on it, sis. You'll be fine."

I nodded. "I hope so. But... I'll be alone."

"Why?" Wedge blinked.

"Sephiroth's still out there, and when you leave with Cloud and the others to chase him down, I'll have to stay here," I explained. "I can't go with you. Not like this. So I'll be all by myself."

Biggs shared a knowing glance with Wedge, then flashed me a little grin. "No, sis. You won't. Me and Wedge are gonna stay right here with you and help you get back on your feet again."

I smiled, really happy for the first time since I'd been hurt. "Guys... thanks. You really are the best, you know that?"

"We love you," Wedge chuckled. "All there is to it."

I pulled him in for a kiss. "I love you, too."

Just then, the curtain parted and Jessie came in, pushing an old but sturdy-looking wheelchair in front of her. It was the motorized kind, so at least I'd still be able get around on my own for the most part, though I wasn't sure what I could do to help here now that I'd been sidelined. I needed to find something, somehow. I'd enjoyed being a scout and spy, but I knew that was probably over now.

"Hey, Lena!" Jessie waved. "Ready for the party?"

I stared at her. "What? Well, um, yeah. I just didn't think I'd be able to go. Because of... well, you know. Being hurt."

She winked. "Well, you can! I had a little chat with the doctor, and she said you could go as long as you don't push yourself too hard. Even though Aerith was able to help ya, you're still pretty banged up. So just relax, take it easy, and have fun tonight!"

"Thanks," I told her. "I guess I can do that."

"Awesome!" she laughed.

I was glad I could go to the party—I'd really been looking forward to it—but I still felt a little down. My gaze wandered over to a side table near the bed, where my gloves and guns sat along with the night vision goggles Jessie had lent me. I'd had a blast using them, but with the way I was now, it was time for me to let them go.

With a sigh, I motioned to the goggles. "Here, Jessie. You can have these back. I won't be needing them anymore..."

"I wouldn't be so sure about that, Lena," she smirked.