FIFTEEN

As I walked with Tifa back to the barracks, I had to remind myself that we were actually a thing now. It was kinda hard to believe it really happened, but that kiss today hadn't been a dream. Neither was the feel of her hand holding mine as we walked. It wasn't far to where we were going, just down the hall a bit, but I was almost in a daze. Couldn't take my eyes off her, either. Damn, she was beautiful.

"You had a good time?" Tifa asked.

"Yeah," I nodded. "You?"

She smiled. "It was wonderful. And a good chance to unwind after all we've been through lately. I think we needed it."

"No argument there," I agreed.

After a minute or two, we came to the barracks. Unlike the ones in the caves, which were just rows of beds in a single room, these were all separate rooms where two or three people could bunk at a time. Wedge and I were sharing one, and so were Lena and Yuffie. Well, until now, I guess. Lena wouldn't be back in there 'till the doc released her from the infirmary. So Yuffie'd have the place to herself.

Barret and Red also had a room, and so did Aerith and Tifa. Cloud had crashed in another after the battle, but I knew he'd be upstairs with Jessie tonight and for the rest of the time they were here. He was crazy about her, although he didn't have a clue how to say it. Made her happy and looked out for her, though, and that was enough for me. Knowing Jessie, she was probably all over him by now.

I stopped with Tifa outside her door. "Well, Tif, I guess this is it for tonight. I know you must be pretty tired."

"Not yet," she murmured, her eyes finding mine.

"Uh, really?" I asked.

Tifa took a step closer. "Yeah. You?"

"Same," I said. "Why?"

She swallowed, and I could tell she was nervous. "Well, um... I was wondering if... you'd like to come in."

I gaped at her, my heart pounding. "A-Are you sure?"

"Totally," Tifa said, sealing it with a kiss.

"Then, yeah, I'd like that," I agreed. "But, uh... what about Aerith? Won't she be coming back later on?"

She smirked. "Not tonight. She's gonna bunk with Yuffie."

"Oh... you asked her?" I blinked.

"Before we left," Tifa nodded. "Just in case."

I chuckled. "Good call."

"I thought so, too," she laughed, opening the door.

Her room wasn't much different from mine, just a bed and dresser on each side. Like all the others, it didn't have a bathroom. That was at the end of the hall. After closing and locking the door, Tifa took me by the hand and guided me over to the bed on the left. It was a twin, just a plain mattress, blanket, pillow, and sheets, but it was comfortable as we sat down side by side, still holding hands.

"I'm kinda nervous, to be honest," Tifa admitted. "You?"

"Yeah," I agreed.

She smiled. "That makes me feel a little better. I've, um... that is... I've never actually... you know... before."

"You don't have to do this, Tif," I said. "No rush."

Tifa wrapped her arms around me. "That's sweet, Biggs. But I want to. I really do. You see, I know you and Wedge are gonna stay here with Lena when the rest of us leave to go after Sephiroth."

I hadn't told her yet, but I wasn't surprised. "I don't want her being all by herself, not with what she's going through."

"I know, and I feel the same way," she said. "I'm glad you guys'll be here looking after her. But before I leave, I wanna enjoy the time we do have together. There's no way for us to know when we'll see each other again. It could be months, even a year."