FORTY-FOUR

Author's Note:

This chapter contains another extended dream sequence that references the Super SOLDIER series by Cloud2367 on AO3 at https://archiveofourown.org/works/37600675/chapters/93854497

Spoilers ahead if you haven't finished Book 5 of his series, as events in the dream refer to things that happened there. Read the whole series if you can, it's very fun and enjoyable!

— — — — — — —

"So what's the plan?" I asked.

We were all crouching quietly in the hidden cave that Vincent and Yuffie had found behind the reactor and gazing intently down past the pipes and ladders to the huge six-legged monster prowling between us and the way out of the mountain. They had met up with us just as we'd left the reactor and had quickly led us back here.

Cloud's eyes were on the creature below us. "We get the drop on it, Jessie. Think you can make the jump?"

I nodded. "No problem."

"Good," he said, looking at us now. "Tifa, Yuffie, Vincent, go down there and get its attention. As soon as it's distracted, Jessie and I'll drop in and hit it from above. With luck, that should keep it off balance and off guard long enough for us to finish it off."

With that settled, Cloud and I got into position while the others all made their way stealthily down to the bottom of the chamber. I pulled out my blaze talons but didn't light them yet. Doing that now would've given us away. The materia guardian's hearing wasn't as good as that of some other monsters, but its eyesight was incredibly acute, with a wide field of vision that would make it hard for anyone to take it by surprise. As Cloud and I crouched by the edge of the topmost level, we watched the others quickly charge toward the monster.

The materia guardian took the bait, turning to meet the attack just as we'd planned. Tifa led the way, fists and feet flying, while Yuffie and Vincent circled around it from opposite sides and struck at it with their weapons again and again. The cave erupted with the sounds of gunfire, rushing footsteps, heavy blows, a spinning shuriken, and the monster's snarling yell as it made the ground shake with every step it took. Sharp claws swung hard and fast, driving the others back.

"Now?" I glanced at Cloud.

He nodded, swords ready. "Now!"

Side by side, we jumped, flipping forward in midair and spinning downward toward the monster below. Lighting my weapons in midair, I stabbed them into the materia guardian's back as Cloud did the same, both of us landing on it at the same time. We slashed furiously and did our best not to get thrown off as we fought. At the same time, Tifa and the others kept up the assault on all sides.

"Jessie, the tails!" Cloud shouted.

I whipped my head around just as one of the spiky things suddenly struck at me like a whip, slamming me in the chest. I flew through the air with a gasp as pain erupted inside me, but I managed to get my feet under me and landed on the ground in a crouch. Cloud roared, quickly hacking off the other tail in a furious double slash, and I went back to work, dodging the monster's stabbing forelegs and cutting at it with my blaze talons. Then I focused on my fire materia. But instead of hurting the materia guardian, the flames actually healed it.

"Shit!" I swore, diving aside just as the monster jabbed at me again. "It absorbs fire, guys! Gotta try something else!"

Yuffie brandished her shuriken. "On it! Don't let up!"

With that, she imbued her weapon with ice ninjitsu magic, the tips glowing pale blue with frost, and hurled it at the monster while darting back and forth amidst puffs of smoke, ducking and dodging attacks left and right. Tifa drove her mythril claws into the materia guardian's hide again and again, sliding quickly between its legs to reach its vulnerable underside. It roared in pain, but she kept up her assault while Vincent shot some of its many eyes out with Cerberus.