XI

Enika\Evelyn's POV

We are going on a picnic. WOHOO. Wow such a wonderful idea, right? But no, we are going to have a picnic in the garden. Like can this get any more boring, but here we are headed towards the garden.

The picnic preparations were already made. There was a mat lying under a tree, and all the baskets with deserts and sandwiches were kept there. We by I meant, me, Alexander, The Crown Prince, Edmund and Victor. Though Edmund and Victor were mostly there for carrying on their knightly duties.

We sat on the mat, on my left sat Alexander and on my right sat the Crown Prince, Edmund sat beside Victor.

Everything was going as it was planned, Alexander was busy reading the book. Crown Prince and Edmund were having a staring contest, while Victor and I were busy stuffing ourselves with desserts and sandwiches when my eyes caught a slim figure of a girl walking towards us, her hair tied up in a messy bun, her clothes though not very extravagant still hinted that she was a noble. 

She approached us and as soon I noticed Alexander put his book down and his gaze followed the steps of the young maiden.

What is this now? I instantly looked at Edmund who had a smirk plastered on his face after defeating the crown prince with that silly staring consort. I raised my eyebrows and he noticed. 

"Lady Evelyn I have something to speak with you, if you could spare your time", he said looking at the crown prince his smirk still plastered on his face.

"Well if you have eyes you can see, she is enjoying herself, you could talk to her later", the crown prince interrupted. But I wanted to know what Edmund wanted to talk about.

"It's alright, Your Highness, it will take mere minutes. Then if you'll excuse me", I said excusing myself and glanced one last time at Alexander whose eyes were still fixated on the maiden.

--

"So Ed, tell me what it is that you wanted to say," I asked Edmund with a tinge of curiosity.

"I like that." He says confusing me.

"You like what," I ask

"Nothing. So here is something which will help you or maybe not, but I am allowed to tell you at least this much. So the young maiden that you saw approach us is the female lead of the novel and someone your brother yearns for. Her name is Olivia Hazelwood and she is the daughter of the butler. Your brother had a crush on her since you all were young. But she doesn't know. When you...I mean Evelyn died, he came to Ester, as it was the only place which could give him solace, as he lost his only family. Here he met Olivia again, who helped him pass through tough times, and also helped in finding your killer. " He explained.

"So if they were the ones to find the original killer, wouldn't it be easier to just let them do it. Easy for you, easy for me." I questioned.

"Well, no for two reasons, one, you are not dead yet, I mean Evelyn is but now that you are possessing the body Alexander thinks that you are alive, and hence no need to find someone who doesn't exist." He stopped.

"And two?" I asked for the second reason.

"Two is that 'They' want you to be the one to find the killer since your soul wandered off here, might as well have fun." He said with a smile which did not reach his eyes.

"Who the fuck are 'They', and is my life a game to you all. My soul didn't just wander off here, those 'they' guys must have a hand in it. If they could let me out of here, they must be the reason for me to come here too.  And you are one of them. Tell me Ed, what is it that you really want."  

I pulled him by his collar so that he could face me, which he surprisingly didn't resist. Our face was too close I could feel his breath on me, Ah, I wanted to intimidate him, but this is way too uncomfortable.

 He was looking at me, his gaze was as deep as the ancient woodland, full of mysteries. I couldn't read him at all. At times he seems mischievous, then he becomes serious, he laughs, but then his eyes hint at sadness. He is way too suspicious to keep around, but he is the only way I can get out of here.

 I see his eyes hovering behind me and then he places his palm on my cheek, his emotion from before changed into a smirk, and I instantly slap his hand and let go of his collar. After I kill that killer of mine and before going back to my world, I'll kill him. No doubt.

"Evelyn"

"Eve"

I heard the voice from behind me, it was distant but not too distant. It was not Alexander who spoke my name as Eve, but The Crown Prince, I was taken a bit aback, although I was the one who allowed him to call me by name, but it's still weird. Given the name isn't even mine.

He came towards me and stood between me and Edmund and continued, "I suppose you have discussed whatever matter you wanted to discuss, but I suggest you come with me Evelyn, Alexander is waiting for us." He said to me, grabbed my hands and looked at Edmund with a gaze with could burn things into ashes.

We went back to the garden, he was still holding my hands, I think he misunderstood something. Should I clear it up? 

"Um, there is nothing between me and Ed, Your Highness", I tried to explain to him, I don't know why and felt his grip tighten on my wrist.

"I know", he said and silence engulfed us until we reached where Alexander was chatting with the beautiful maiden named Olivia.