XIII

Evelyn's pov

We have finished the dinner and now I am in the Library with three musketeers ---The Crown prince, Edmund and Victor, though Victor looks like he would be better off in his chambers. Anyway, It's about time we discuss the most pressing matter, and that is finding the murderer. 

Alexander wanted to join us in the library even though he didn't know the agenda of our discussion, it is an unspoken rule of not telling Alex about any of this. We just asked him to rest as his eye bags were showing. He should try to look after his health more, I feel.

So now, we sit in the library, the crown prince beside me and Edmund and Victor, in front of us.

"He is not needed here", Ceasare says looking at Edmund with the look get-the-hell-out-of-here.

"Um...well your highness, he is the most crucial part in all of this," I said holding an ink pen in my hand and dragging the papers to my side of the table.

"And If I may ask, Eve, what part of his is 'crucial'? He says sending daggers at Edmund through his eyes. He has resorted to calling me Eve, I guess, because of the prior incident. He may feel insecure. I mean anyone will if you see your fiancee so close to another man. Even though you are fakes.

But why do I get the feeling that he likes Evelyn, I mean not me, but the real Evelyn. I feel he is jealous of Edmund because of his closeness towards me. He sees me as the old Evelyn and isn't aware of his feelings yet. 

Oh god, how many hearts am I going to break, when they'll know that their Evelyn is dead? And the worst part is that they didn't even get the chance to grieve for her. I mean Evelyn was supposed to be dead, yes, but her dear ones were stripped of their right to mourn for her, just because of this stupid transmigration thing. I glare at Edmund, he is the cause of all this, or whoever those people are.

I know that these people are just from the novel, but they are people nonetheless, ah, I can't--

"Lady Evelyn, if you are finished with your thinking, I say, we should begin with what we have gathered here, so late at night," Victor said as a yawn escaped his mouth.

"Oh sorry for keeping you Sir Victor, I didn't mean to, you could very well retire to your chambers", I said.

"Thank you, my lady", and as if that was the cue, Victor stood up without as much as sparing a glance at us and retired to his chambers.

And here we were, the three of us.

"I see you call even Victor by his name, but somehow you have trouble enunciating my name", Ceasare said trying to hide his disappointment.

Ah well I don't call his name, one, because he is royalty, well that is just an excuse, because royalty or not, it doesn't matter to me. From where I come, everyone is equal. Two, I feel that it wouldn't be right, for me calling him, by his name, knowing that I took someone precious from him away. I know it wasn't me, but still. He loved her and still does even if he doesn't realise. I couldn't just bring myself to call him by his name. I know it shouldn't be a big deal, but it is.

But I guess, it can't be helped, after everything that has happened, to which he is still unaware, I could at least try to make him happy, knowing that all hells will break when the truth will finally come out. 

"So now that we are here, we will start with the possible reasons that I could be attacked for, right Cesare," I called him, and he looked at me the golden hue of his eyes, resplendent and vibrant, seemed to dance with an inner fire, flickering and shimmering with an intensity that captivated me. They held a depth and brilliance that defied description, like pools of molten gold reflecting the richness of the world around them. 

I diverted my gaze towards, who as always had this damn smile plastered on his face. Look I don't mind people being happy, but that man, that damn bastard, is the reason for all of this fiasco.

"Lady Evelyn is right, we should start now, lest she fall into deep slumber, she has a habit of sleeping and ignoring people around her", Edmund said recounting the incident of other day. Like why is he doing this, he could have gotten the idea by now that Cesare is uncomfortable with our closeness and his talking about how he knows about my sleeping habits does not help. He is a sly fox. That time too, played with my hair, knowing that Cesare was watching us.

"You don't have to worry yourself with my fiancee, Sir Edmund", he says his gaze piercing through the soul of Edmund.

He is miserable, I could see it, he doesn't want me near Edmund, thinking that I am Evelyn. I don't know what should I do. If I tell him the truth, he will be miserable either way.

But how long can I keep the truth to myself?