Chapter 16: Josie's Boys

A broken down dryer led to the gambling den hidden at the Soap and Suds

"I'm not sure I can fit through that," Rowena whispered to Cross, pointing at the front-loading dryer with a sign that read, "Out of order."

"Do you want to back out? We can forget this investigation and pick up some pizza. We can watch Wizard of Oz again," Cross suggested.

Rowena frowned. "I'm here to clear my abuela's name. I can't just give up."

"Your mustache is falling off," Matt said, pointing to the chevron shaped mustache on Rowena's face.

She cursed as she tried to paste it back on. She wore a dark suit and a wig to hide her long hair.

"Remember, be cool in there," Jeremiah reminded them. "I had to pull some strings to get an invite."

Jeremiah, Liam and Matt crawled through the dryer before Rowena. Cross followed behind her. The lights were dim in the noisy gambling room. Rowena could hardly hear herself thing as the din of laughter, gambling machines, and chatter surrounded her.

"Are you all noticing what I'm noticing?" Rowena asked.

"That there aren't any women here." Liam answered.

"That everyone is dressed like they're from the 1920s except us?" Matt asked.

"The waiters are dressed in gold boots shorts." Jeremiah said.

"All of the above." Rowena looked around the room. Gambling machines lined the walls and a bar sat in the middle of the room. At the far end of the room, a stage took up the back wall.

"We need to find Josie, the owner of this place," Rowena reminded them.

Jeremiah nodded. "I'll ask one of the waiters."

He flagged down the waiter closest to him and asked for a whiskey. "Also, do you know when Josie will make her appearance?"

The waiter paled. "I just take orders."

Rowena stepped in front of him, staring into his eyes. "You want to tell me about Josie."

"Josie, the man eater?"

"Is that her nickname?" Rowena asked.

The waiter looked around before leaning forward. "You didn't hear this from me but the woman goes through men like a person with diarrhea goes through a roll of toilet paper."

Rowena grimaced. "I heard she was dating a guy named Moises."

The waiter shrugged. "She has a lot of men. They all try to stay in her good graces. My friend Gio hooked up with her. He hasn't been the same since."

"How so?" Cross asked.

"It's like he's addicted to her. He does everything she says," the water explained. "She'll be here tonight. She always makes an appearance but be careful. If the money wasn't so good, I'd have quit long ago."

"Is she really that beautiful?" Rowena asked.

The waiter shook his head. Someone signaled for the waiter and he left to take another order.

"It sounds like this Josie lady is dangerous," Jeremiah told Rowena.

She nodded before leaning into Cross. "Is it possible she's a witch and is bewitching men to fall in love with her?"

"It's possible but there's another explanation," he said so only she could hear.

"What is it?"

Before Cross could answer, a blare of trumpets filled the room. Lights danced around the stage before a red-haired woman in a green burlesque outfit stood in the spotlight. Six men stood behind her.

"Welcome to the party, boys," Josie called out amidst a symphony of whistles and catcalls.

"I hope you gamble to your heart's content and all of us get to spend a little one on one time," Josie said. "Tonight, my favorites will be escorting me. If you want to be a favorite, try your best!"

"I'm going to try and get more information on the owner," Jeremiah told Rowena before wandering through the crowd.

"She's okay but not anything to be obsessed over," Rowena muttered. She whispered to Cross. "I'm pretty sure she's a witch."

"She's worse than that," Liam muttered.

"What's worse than a witch?" Rowena asked.

Cross frowned. "A siren."

"I think things just became a bit more interesting," Matt said, pointing at the stage.

"Is Moises up there?" Rowena asked, turning her head and squinting her eyes as she tried to make out the men onstage.

"Nope, it's someone more interesting," Matt answered.

Rowena's brows rose. "Who could be more--"

"Am I seeing who I think I'm seeing?" Cross asked.

Standing on stage with Josie, stood a familiar face.

Rowena gasped in disbelief. "Hector?"

 "Hector?"