Chapter 2: Jesus Speaks to Me

Rowena Flores sat in the front row of the courtroom, sandwiched between the Howler brothers, Selig and Cross

Rowena Flores sat in the front row of the courtroom, sandwiched between the Howler brothers, Selig and Cross. Dressed in their fancy expensive suits, Rowena doubted anyone would guess the two handsome and wealthy men were really werewolf shifters.

On the opposite end of the courtroom, a clown with a rubber red nose and blue curly hair, glared at her.

"All rise," the bailiff called out as Judge Gene Wiseman entered the court in his usual black robes. He did a doubletake at the clown before clearing his throat and lowering his bushy gray brows.

"You may be seated," Judge Wiseman said in his deep raspy voice, looking through the docket. He straightened the small pair of glasses perched on his nose before sighing. "Rowena Flores, you're back again?" He turned to the county attorney. "What did you get her for this time? Another unpaid speeding ticket?"

Simon Grover, the Clarkton County attorney, shook his head. "Assault but the speeding tickets are on the docket as well."

"Booooo!" Rowena's friends, who were all werewolf shifters from the Howler pack, heckled from the audience. Abby, Matt, and Liam were holding posterboard signs decorated in glitter and gemstones that read, "Rowena is Innocent," "Clowns are Evil," and "Keep Flores Free."

Judge Wiseman slammed his gavel down. "Order in the court! You simmer down or I'll have you thrown out! I refuse to have chaos in my courtroom. Ms. Flores, control your friends."

Rowena nodded at the judge. When he looked away, she leaned forward and winked at her friends, giving them a thumbs up.

The bailiff looked to the ground and shook his head.

"Your Honor, if possible, we'd like to settle Ms. Flores' cases first " Simon Grover said. "Hugo Rodriguez, the clown in the courtroom is pressing charges against her for assault."

"I don't know how she's free" Hugo complained. His oversized shoes squeaked as he stepped forward.

"She made bail," Simon explained. The thin county attorney had slicked back red hair and green eyes currently giving Hugo a look of disdain.

Gilbert Rodriguez sat in the aisle behind his uncle, Hugo.

"Is there a reason you're in your clown attire?" Simon asked Hugo nasally.

"This is what I always wear," Hugo said while snapping the suspenders holding up his oversized pants.

Judge Wiseman rolled his eyes and gave a nod while gesturing them forward. Cross squeezed Rowena's hand before she pushed herself up and took a few short steps to stand beside Selig Howler.

Judge Wiseman raised a brow at Selig. "And who might you be?"

"Selig Howler. I'll be representing Ms. Flores this morning," Selig answered, smiling.

"I didn't know I needed an attorney," Hugo complained.

Judge Wiseman sighed heavily. A moment later, he swore everyone under oath.