Chapter 3: I'm Not Dead, I'm Sleeping!

Rowena couldn't hold back her laughter as they passed the courthouse

"That's right, baby. Laugh it up." Cross chuckled before he turned his light grey eyes, hidden behind a pair of aviator sunglasses, to her.

Her merriment filled the cab of the vehicle. "I just think it's hilarious. It took three shifters, two cops, and the gardener spraying you both with a water hose to get you and Hector to stop fighting. Should I be worried you're so possessive?"

Cross sighed before reaching over and squeezing her hand. "I'm a wolf-shifter. I can't help it. My wolf-- he gets anxious when you're not around. He hates when other men look at you. Yesterday, when Hector asked you if you would've dated him, he lost it. He's part of me. So, I lost it too."

"We've never really talked about your wolf," Rowena admitted. "You've never described him as a separate being."

Cross shrugged. "You're against turning into a wolf. I thought talking about it made you uncomfortable."

Rowena jerked back. "I'm not against it. I'm just not ready to stop being human."

He pulled her hand so it rested on his thigh. "It's okay. Even if you shift, you'd still be human. You'll just have some extra abilities and a gorgeous she-wolf inside you. My wolf loves the idea of you having a wolf for him to run with."

Rowena lifted a brow. "Just to run with?"

He smirked, acknowledging, "And other things."

"Cross, I'm sorry I'm not ready." Rowena  fidgeted in her seat, playing with his fingers. "I know I'll eventually have to decide. I don't want to lose you."

"You're never going to lose me, Rowena."

"What if you find your true mate while waiting on me to decide? All the shifter books have them. Sure, the male leads reject them at first, but then they can't resist the lure of a true mate."

Cross laughed, turning into the circular driveway of Happy Trails Nursing Home. "Baby, true mates are rare and finding your true mate is almost unheard of. I want you to turn into a shifter because only then can you officially be my mate and people like Hector will know they don't stand a chance with you."

"Mates don't cheat?" Rowena's eyes widened.

Cross shook his head. "It happens. You remember Reed's neighbor, don't you? She cheated on her mate."

Rowena met Cross in a roundabout way through her ex-boyfriend, Reed. She still saw him around Howler, but the two never spoke.

"Most mates are true to one another," Cross continued. "I would definitely be true to you."

Rowena grinned.

"Also, being part of the pack would be good for you. You've said it yourself-- your family isn't the most welcoming. My entire town would love you like family. They already do."