Chapter 19: Slammer Time

A rowdy group of men dressed in suits from the 1920s filled the police station

Rowena snatched a pen from Detective Donnie Valdez's desk before leaning back in her chair.

"My client would like to speak with her granddaughter, who is also my client," Selig insisted. "Your proof is circumstantial."

Donnie shook his head. "Her prints are on the knife we found in the victim's body. Her earring was also at the crime scene. The two fought over a man and Rosa Flores publicly threatened to kill her. It pains me to do this, but our hands were tied."

Rowena uncapped the pen and began drawing a tear shape at the corner of her right eye. Donnie fidgeted in his seat, swallowing a knot of fear as he watched her.

"What are you doing?" Selig asked Rowena.

She ignored him and began drawing a second tear.

"There aren't any other suspects," Donnie insisted.

"What about the victim's son? We heard he was part of some illegal gambling operation," Selig said.

Donnie sighed, gesturing around him. "The men who were at that gambling room have all been brought in. Some of them are still being booked."

"And Moises Brown?" Selig insisted. "You haven't found him yet?"

Donnie stared at the fourth teardrop Rowena drew on her face. "Rowena, I hate to ask. I really do, but what are you doing?"

"I want to talk to my abuela, Donnie," Rowena said in a calm voice, placing the pen back on his desk.

Donnie scooted back in his chair, licking his lips nervously before stealing a glance at Selig.

"We're at a police station, Rowena," Donnie whispered. "Dont do anything crazy."

"How about I just talk to her?" Selig suggested. "I'm her lawyer so I'm allowed. Just let me know what you want to say to her."

Rowena stared at Donnie. "I'm not going to repeat myself, Donnie."

"I can't just sneak you in, Rowena," he said refusing to look at her.

Rowena slammed her hand on his desk. "Look me in the eyes!"

Donnie gulped and did as she said.

"Donnie Valdez, you will let me in to see my abuela and you will let me out when I'm ready to leave. Do you understand me?"

Donnie nodded. "I will let you in to see your grandmother. I will let you out when you're ready."

He stood up, pushing back his chair and proceeded to walk towards the holding area.

"Did you just use your vampire abilities?" Selig asked.

"I sure did," Rowena smirked. "Next time, I'm going to use them when I'm in court."