Chapter 12

Louis' POV

This isn't good. This. Is not. Good. He has never left without letting us know before. But I tried to stay calm, mostly for the girls' sake.

"Erm...where do you guys think he's gone?" I rubbed my hands together, looking around at the panicked faces of my colleagues.

Liam shrugged. "I dunno, but should we check his stuff? Maybe he left a note or something."

I nodded. "It's a good place to start." We took the stairs two at a time until we reached our room. Harry and Abbey immediately rushed to Zayn's stuff. I heard a gasp, and Abbey stumbled back into Niall's arms, her face as pale as a ghost's.

"What's wrong?!" Liam grabbed her arm. Harry turned around, a crumpled piece of paper in his hand. He tossed it onto the coffee table.

BYE.

That was all it said. Scribbled on the sheet in his messy script. The only clue Zayn had left us. I caught Kaylie shoot Abbey a look, and knew something was up.

"Abbey, what happened? Are you alright?" I furrowed my eyebrows in concern.

She giggled nervously. "I'm fine, honestly. Just worried is all." Some of the color began to return to her face, yet she still looked extremely shaken. "Um...guys? Sorry, but can I please talk to Niall and Kaylie alone?"

Liam nodded and motioned for Harry and me to follow him into the hallway, shutting the door behind us.

Niall's POV

Abbey sat down on the couch, Kaylie holding her arm firmly. "Abbey, it's alright. It doesn't mean anything. Don't get worked up, I'm sure he's completely safe."

I glanced between them, confused. "What's going on?" I rubbed Abbey's shoulder in attempt to calm her, but something was obviously up.

She took a deep breath, her chest shaking in anxiety. Finally she spoke. "D-did I ever tell you about...about when I was in eighth grade..?"

I shook my head.

She opened her mouth, but tears came before words. I rubbed her back soothingly, gently kissing her forehead. "It's alright love," I whispered. "You don't have to tell me."

She looked at Kaylie. "Tell...tell him..." she choked through the tears.

"Are you sure?" Kaylie fretted. Abbey nodded.

Kaylie let out her breath slowly. "When Abbey and I were in eighth grade, it wasn't the best time for her. It had been a couple years since her dad died, but it was still hard for her family to adjust, especially since her brother, Julian, started looking at colleges. Abbey felt rejected, or at least that's what she told me. She didn't feel loved, and that is what 14-year-old girls crave the most. The feeling of being loved. And to make it worse, she was constantly bullied at school. Made rude and hurtful comments referring to her appearance and personality, and some even went as far as insulted her about her dad. One day she..." Kaylie paused, her blue eyes glazed with tears, but she held them back as she continued. "One day she almost attempted suicide. She had left a note on her table at the time. All it said was 'bye,' just like Zayn's. But we caught her in time, brought her back. It was the scariest thing ever... That's why she's so scared now."

That was when I lost it. Even the thought of anyone having to go through that, having those experiences...just killed me, no pun intended. 

"Abbey..." I choked, embracing her. I grabbed my wrists behind her back to keep them from shaking.

She rested her head on my shoulder. "Don't worry about me, Niall. I'm past that. But can you see why I'm so worried about..." She trailed off.

I nodded my head. "Abby, we'll find him. I promise."

"Are you sure?"

"We'll find him if it's the last thing I do."

Author's Note: Sorry this chapter is so short, I was kinda rushing because I wanted to update! I'll try to update again soonish because I'm currently on my school's spring break, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem. For the few of you who are reading it, I LOVE YOU SO MUCH. Please, please, PLEASE tell your directioner friends about this, I really want more reads! So vote/comment/follow and I WILL UPDATE SOON.