˗ˏˋ28: Dex'ˎ˗

There was something up with my cousin. She was quieter than usual, spacing off, deep in thought. And I was blasting All Too Well 10 Minute Version on the way to school! Something had happened in the parking lot yesterday, because she didn't even try to retort my teasing about her being slow. Ever since then, she had looked like she was always thinking.

While I was worried for her, I couldn't admit it, she'd never let it go. But I kept sneaking glances at her on the drive to school, seeing her with the same dazed out expression each time. I was seriously starting to debate asking her if she was okay.

Before I could, I pulled into our usual parking spot and she leaped out of the car before it was even parked, speed walking as fast as her little legs could carry her. I tried to catch up, but by the time I even just grabbed my backpack and shut the door, she was gone.

You know what, who cares? I literally live next to her, I'll jump through her window and annoy her until she talks to me.

Sophie had her earbuds in and her head down the entirety of history class. I could faintly hear the Spongebob rap by Glorb playing on repeat. And even though her hair was up in a messy bun, showing her earbuds in full display, our teacher couldn't have given a bigger crud about it. I think she was just happy Sophie and I weren't talking really loud.

I didn't even get to see her for the rest of the day, which I wouldn't admit, but I was worried and wanted to watch over her, make sure nothing happened. Because if I was there, nothing would be able to happen to her.

Although, during French class, I got a little bit distracted.

Okay, maybe more than a little bit.

Fine, I didn't think about Sophie the entire period, sue me.

I was a bit preoccupied.

Story time.

"Hey, mind if I sit here?" A boy my age asked

"Hey, mind if I sit here?" A boy my age asked. I didn't recognize him from my first semester, so I figured he was put in that class after the schedule change.

"Not at all." I moved my stuff over so he'd have more room. "I'm Dex."

"Oh, one of the new kids that came in November. I'm Tanner. I wasn't here yesterday so I've been trying to figure out all my classes today. Literally all of my friends are in the other French class." He let out an over/exaggerated groan and I laughed.

"I hate when that happens. Granted when I first got here my only friend was my cousin, but still." This time, he laughed. I almost couldn't comprehend the amount of joy that sound gave me-

What. The. Heck. No. Thank. You.

Where did that come from? Why did I feel like I was blushing? Sophie's the only one that's supposed to blush!

The rest of class continued and I took sneaky not-so-sneaky glances at Tanner. Why did I laugh so hard when he joked? I usually only acted like this around-