Remember Me? ~ Nobunaga

♡I'm baaaack and the show must go on♡

A/N: This one has significantly more of a storyline and exposition than usual, you can skip to the bold below for the lemon
A/N Part 2: Don't attack at me for writing out of character, this is fiction as I imagine it :3

Y/n had been questioning her decision to attend the York New City Auction for some time, but hadn't truly regretted it until hearing about the massacre on the opening night.
She was just about ready to leave the city and skip what remained of the auction, the items she had her heart set on be damned. They weren't worth the risk.
After all, her strong sense of self-preservation was why she'd pulled away all those years ago. Why when her friends had founded a gang and left Meteor City, she hadn't gone with them.
Why she'd been alone for all these years.
Trapped in her dark musings, she didn't even notice the lone pedestrian walking on the opposite side of the dark street.
Not until he called out to her.
"Y/n?"
Her head snapped up, heart racing and not for the expected reason.
"Nobunaga?"
Stepping into the light was none other than her former lover, and one of the reasons she'd refused to join the Phantom Troupe.
"Hey."
"What are you doing here?" she blurted out before she could control herself.
"Business. You...you look great."
Scanning him - those dark, knowing eyes, silky hair she could almost remember running her fingers through - her breath was stolen away.
"You do too."
"Do you have time for a drink?"
"Sure."

After all that time, she still trusted him implicitly and followed him into an elegant bar. It was a far cry from the places they'd frequented a lifetime ago.
Things were awkward at first as they tried to fill each other in on all the years gone by, but she was still quick to reach for his hand as his voice caught in his throat, a sob threatening to escape.
"Uvo is dead. He went off alone and never came back."
"Oh Nobu, I'm so sorry. I just can't believe it. He was the strongest person I'd ever met...do you know what happened?"
"We don't know. But the bastard responsible is going to pay," he growled.
She sighed deeply, lamenting the loss of a friend she could still remember so vividly.
"You invite too much danger into your lives. I mean, taking on the whole mafia? What were you thinking?"
"That's the game we play. No risk, no reward. We all know the rules, and we accept them."
She rubbed her temple.
"That's a little arrogant of you. It's like nothing else matters to you but the glory."
"That's a little condescending of you," he echoed. "Someone who's never played the game and felt the rush couldn't understand."
"No. And that's why I left."
"Because you're afraid?" he scoffed.
Her voice rose to match her agitation.
"Of course I'm afraid! I couldn't live like the rest of you; gambling with your lives, taking on such insane missions. Always worrying if you were going to come back from your latest undertaking, Nobunaga! Not knowing if I'd be alone!"
"You did it for me?"
"Partially. You were my everything back then."
His eyes softened as he took her in again.
"I always thought it was cowardice, that you were afraid for your own life. And I resented you for it."
"It's okay to hate me for choosing what I did. I never expected you to understand."
"That's not true. I don't hate you," he said softly.
"I don't hate you either."
"...I love you."
"What?" she squeaked.
"I love you, as much as I did the day you left. My feelings haven't changed."
Y/n shook her head, almost desperately now.
"This was a fucking mistake. I shouldn't have come here."
"Why?"
"Because this changes nothing. Knowing how you feel only makes it hurt more to leave again."
"Then don't!"
Her reflexes were usually lightning fast, but disarmed by him, they failed her.
When his mouth crashed against hers, all her traitorous body did was kiss him back, allowing him to cup her face in his warm hands. She sunk into that kiss like it was a lifeline and let him breathe that life back into her.
Even when they couldn't breathe, their lungs begging them to let go, he held on for just a bit longer.
And when he did, he leaned down to press his forehead against hers, thumbs idly stroking her cheeks.
"This changes everything! I love you, damn it! I love you and I want you! We could be together!"
"Nobu..."
"Please, y/n."
"Nobu...you're asking me to make an impossible decision."
"It doesn't have to be impossible. You want security, right? Once this is over, I'll keep stay under the radar for a while. Or I'll take safer jobs. Something. Anything. Just don't make me watch you walk away again."
"I left because I was afraid to lose you, but in doing so, I lost you anyway. You don't have to change, Nobu. I'll stay."
"You promise?"
She held out her pinky to him, and he crooked his around it.
"I promise."
"Thank you. Let me love you, and you can love me back in time."
When he moved to kiss her again, he went slowly, giving her the choice to push him away.
She didn't.