Chapter 27

I had never thought that waking up to the cawing of a crow could be pleasant until, when I opened my eyes, I found my sockets like Mun coins an inch from my face. It was an intimidating sight, with its sharp beak and onyx claws, but when I stroked the feathers on its neck it raised its head like a cat begging for cuddles.

"Good morning, pretty boy," I greeted before standing up. I smiled at the fact that I was in a simple bedroom, with little furniture and practically bare walls, and not in my sumptuous room at the Aursong mansion. That morning, like the night before, I felt free, plain and simple. I wasn't going to have to go train with an unbearable woman, or go down to breakfast with my adopted family, nor was there a maid waiting to dress me or sedate me. I hugged myself at the sight of what I was wearing, as I still retained the essence of Lokih. I got out of bed and left the room. The ethryn was in the hall, wrapped in a cloak as if he had just returned from abroad and long face that turned into a smile when he saw me.

"Is everything all right?" I asked, crossing my arms.

"It couldn't be better. Good morning."

"Lokih..."

"It's okay, the insurgents may have discovered the... scene I left in my wake yesterday."

His tone was hesitant, as if he was still waiting for some specific reaction to what he had done to the mercenaries the night before. He didn't get it, because I said:

"Bad news, I guess."

"Yes, I'm afraid they are beginning to contemplate the possibility that you may not have left the island. The only positive thing about this whole situation is that they must be banging their heads together to punish their stupidity."

Just imagining it made me laugh.

"But don't worry, I'm already organizing everything to get away from Cavintosh. I just need Mun to make a couple of long trips, but he's used to it."

"You have the poor Mun enslaved."

"It's not true, he only does me favors to honor our friendship."

"So, do you have a plan to get us out of here?"

"Something like this."

I crossed my arms as I raised an eyebrow.

"That didn't sound too convincing."

"No, isn't it? It's still in process, but I'm making sure I find a safe way out of here. And speaking of safe..."

He held up a cloth bag which, when he shook it, clinked in a way that almost made me jump for joy. He opened it to show me its contents, which were none other than a bunch of small round mirrors. The magic inside of me turned inside out, like someone who has been submerged for a long time and comes to the surface to take a breath of air.

"...I stopped by the store and thought you might need some of these. "

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!"

I took two out of the bag, and the second I saw my reflection, my reflection metamorphosed and smiled at me exultantly. As soon as I saw it, it was as if something clicked, and I breathed a long sigh of relief. Yes, I may have become dependent on that magic, but I wasn't about to regret it. I had been feeling helpless without it for days, in the hands of the Aursong and the mercenaries, and I didn't want to feel that way again. If the only way not to do so was to use the darkness the crystal awakened in me, so be it. I would be a witch in every way if necessary.

"How come you have so many?"

"These items are highly prized in Ethryant, you won't find a single house without at least several of them."