Chapter 9

I tried to believe that what had just happened had been nothing more than a figment of my imagination, but it was impossible as I realized that Eneas was looking directly at me, dozens of faces were turning towards me and Clariess was mumbling with barely a voice:

"What?"

I looked around for the rest of the Aursong with my eyes, and saw that they were quickly approaching our table. Rodion was completely out of place, as were Cadmot and Gracelie. Fyodor, however, was entirely unmoved. If he was surprised by Eneas's proposal, he disguised it perfectly.

He wasn't, I realized in horror. He knew what was going to happen. That's why he had brought me there dressed as a noblewoman, because he and the prince had planned it. They had let everyone believe that Clariess would be the one to be betrothed that night, knowing that in the end it would be me.

"No," I mumbled, but by then the general had reached me and wrapped his arms around my wrist in an iron grip.

"The honor will be mine, your highness, in accepting your proposal and giving you Persie in marriage to accompany you once you have obtained the crown that is yours."

Hesitant applause echoed through the room, just enough so that no one could hear Rodion say:

"Father, what are you doing?"

"Rodion," I pleaded.

"Quiet, son. Don't do anything."

"You promised me, Fyodor," Gracelie hissed, furious. "You promised me my little girl would be queen, not that bitch."

"Persie?" Clariess whispered, confused; not as confused as I was, that's for sure.

"Lady Persie," Eneas called to me, completely calm on his part. Fyodor pulled me to my feet, and only then did I manage to come out of my daze.

"No!" I cried, trying to resist, but he twisted my wrist as he did when he dragged me in the middle of the night through the sinister corridors. I couldn't stop him from leading me to the throne, next to the prince. Eneas gave me his usual charismatic smile, but for the first time I thought I could see a dark edge to it.

'The most merciless demons possess the faces of the sweetest angels.'

"I don't know what the purpose of this is, but I don't plan to be a part of it." I said quietly. He looked me up and down, contempt clear in his eyes.

"We'll see about that," he guffawed in the same tone, before turning to the assembled nobles.

"My dear subjects, I am sure you must be asking yourselves many questions at this moment. I am aware of the rumors that were circulating about my impending engagement, and I regret not denying it before. Persie Aursong may not be of noble rank, but there are compelling reasons to support this union.

Many years ago, when Furya's forces loomed over Ethryant, King Honir consulted the royal oracle, Delphis, in search of a way to stop her. The oracle looked to the stars, for in them converged the answer. A prophecy was written on a star map that the court astrologers examined exhaustively until they discovered that all the symbols Delphis had glimpsed had been aligned over the outskirts of the city three decades ago. The exact spot was over an abandoned house that once belonged to a family. They believed the oracle had misguided them until they discovered that one of the sons of the family in question had been born the night the stars had aligned. That man was an infantryman in Honir's troops, a simple, unremarkable fellow who was certainly not the answer to the prophecy. However, that man had recently had a daughter. That daughter is the young woman before you. Persie Aursong is destined to take on Queen Furya and help us put an end to her dark reign. If you don't believe me, see for yourself!"