Chapter 11

Lokih was tidying one of the shelves in his store, filled with ornate pens and writing implements while chatting with Mun, who didn't seem particularly interested in the conversation. However, he turned in a hurry and managed to catch on the fly the box I threw at him just before it impacted against his insufferable face. His crow began to caw in outrage, but he merely raised an eyebrow.

"I remember telling you to open it in case of danger."

"And I remember you telling me I could trust you!" I replied, approaching with a threatening gesture. "But here we are, aren't we?"

The Ethryn clicked his tongue and passed the box from one hand to the other.

"I didn't think it would come as much of a surprise to you that I had illegal items now that you know me."

"Don't you dare play dumb, you lying, cheating, Ethryn bastard."

He sighed.

"Yeah, I imagine having a forbidden object is the least of your problems right now. Word has gotten around."

There was no need to ask to know what he meant.

"I have heard that the official announcement is tomorrow, but it seems unnecessary when rumors are running like the wind."

"Do you find this amusing, Zarius?"

"Not at all. This situation could not seem more ridiculous and backward to me. In Ethryant, arranged marriages are not allowed, let alone the whole 'giving in marriage' thing. No, I don't think it's funny at all."

"How interesting, it will be the first thing I do when Aeneas makes me queen. Oh, wait, I won't be able to do anything!"

Another click of the tongue. I was really pushing my nerves to the limit.

"You think so? Because I know your secrets, and those are not exactly the rumors you hear out there."

"You'll be unhappy..."

He raised his hands in a conciliatory gesture, and Mun flapped uneasily.

"Are you threatening me, is that it? Would you like everyone to know that you send letters to Ethryant, or that your name is actually that of an illusionist sorcerer?"

"I have much worse secrets."

"But it looks like you found out about mine before I did. Why? Why didn't you tell me if you knew what it was instead of giving me the mirror to find out on my own?"

"I couldn't."

"How the hell did you know?"

He looked at me, hesitating, until he answered:

"This may be hard to believe, Persie, but Ethryant knows of your existence."

I had endured enough revelations the last few days not to react to this one, but I did feel that one in its entirety.

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"It means that we Ethryn know that, wherever the Insurrection was, you were there."

"And the Queen...?"

"Everyone knows it."

I paced back and forth, frantic.

"This is a disaster. I can't win against the Queen, and I can't win against the Princess either. How can anything depend on me? I'm just a witch! And I'm the worst kind of witch possible!"

"There don't have to be good or bad kinds."

"Then how do you explain that during the ball my reflection in the mirror tried to strangle prince Eneas?"