Chapter 24

Apparently, all those classes with Mr. Adrell were not going to do me any good, as I found myself at the ball as a chaperone for Eneas without being able to stand on my own two feet.

They hadn't let me out of bed for three days, except to get ready for the party. The Aursong had come to the conclusion that they had had too much of a free hand with me during these days, surely thanks to Rodion, and they did not intend to let me do anything against them now that I knew what the Dream Man had revealed to me. For that reason, as soon as I had woken up in my bed I had found Loana beside me, who had forced me to drink the contents of a glass that had made me fall back into a slump and had taken away my strength to get up. They hadn't even sent me to train with Scilla, they had merely had Loana administer those medicines to me every day so that every time I tried to get out of my bed my mind would again become cloudy and I would once again be helpless. The maid had taken care of dressing me as if I were a doll who kept insulting her between deliriums and had given me a last dose before sending me by carriage to meet the prince.

Eneas' smile made me want to erase it with a glass. He looked at me knowing that I was completely at their mercy, that there was no more bravado to be had because I had been reduced to exactly what they all wanted. As soon as we walked in, the room began to spin around me, and of course he was most gallant as he led me to a chair where he laid me out like a jacket as he went to greet the guests.

Was this how they planned to treat me now that I knew the truth? Was I going to be made to live drugged and silent until they had to take me out to a battlefield, as if I were nothing more than their caged beast? No, I wasn't going to let things stay that way. Never, under no circumstances would I ever again obey the man I now knew to be my kidnapper, never again would I remain silent for the one who had made my life a living hell. I did not plan to provide them with the witch they wanted. Instead, when the time came they would have one infinitely worse.

I was going to kill Fyodor Aursong. If it was clear to me before, it was crystal clear now. I was still processing the idea that he was my father's murderer; he had taken from me the family whose absence I had felt all my life. I had no idea how his ghost had come to reside in my mind, but it seemed like a miracle. However, just imagining what my life might have been like, what it would have been like to be raised in Ethryant by the wonderful man I saw in my dreams made my eyes glitter with rage and every cell in my body command me to put his killer to death. If Loana didn't make sure to control me, maybe I would have done it by now. The shy, helpful woman I had thought I had known these past few weeks had turned into someone cold, indifferent and efficient throughout the day. I should have known better than to assign just anyone to be the one to take care of me.

Shortly thereafter, the Guntherons, who were the hosts, hesitantly approached to greet me.

"We're glad you could make it, Lady Persie."

I was in no mood for that. Not at all.

"Yeah, sure."

"Are you all right?"

"It's nothing, it's just that I don't think the carriage ride hasn't been very good for my fiancée," interjected Eneas opportunely. "I'm sure it won't be long before she's feeling better. Ozgur, would you mind getting Lady Persie a cold drink? I would be very grateful. "

The second son of the Guntherons nodded. On that occasion, Fyodor and Gracelie had chosen another heir to accompany Clariess, and Ozgur was probably glad. He liked being the leading man at every party too much for him to have been content to be the young Aursong's support, and he had already shown her with all the discretion a bumpkin could muster that he considered her a dull companion.

"Don't worry, Persie, I'm sure it will pass soon," Eneas continued, taking a seat next to me. "How are you feeling?"

"You know perfectly well how I feel, you bastard."