Chapter 8

On the day of Eneas' ball, everyone in the Aursong household was on edge. Even those who were not invited.

The celebration was on everyone's lips. The inhabitants of the island were talking about nothing else but the sumptuous feast of our prince. All of Cavintosh was holding its breath, expectant. So was I, but for a very different reason.

As the days passed, Clariess' attitude had changed. She was reluctant to even mention the issue that had us both worried and was smiling, cheerful and obedient. Quietly accepting what might happen, just like everyone else. I hadn't spoken to Rodion since our fight in the forest, and the truth was, that saddened me greatly. We hadn't argued in a long time, and we certainly hadn't gone that long without speaking to each other. It was a new experience for both of us, and I couldn't think of a worse time to experience it.

I examined the two dresses I had spread out on my bed with some distaste. I had already made up my mind to accompany Clariess to that stupid ball. I was used to it, I had been my friend's crutch for years at most of the events she was invited to. That was one of my new duties when I became her lady-in-waiting, but at first the family was reluctant to allow it. However, after a couple of parties and gatherings where they were forced to take turns caring for Clariess, Fyodor gave in.

I always tried to remain invisible when I had to accompany her. Silent unless I was spoken to directly. Immobile unless Clariess had to move. Barely a shadow.

The first dress was the gray one I had worn on the Eremien ship, and the second was yellowish white because of its age. I didn't like them very much, but those were the only moderately elegant garments I had. I used to wear them, but that night all the insurrectionist aristocrats would be wearing their best clothes. In those clothes, more than once I had been mistaken for an employee. I let out a resigned sigh. It was going to be a horrible night. And besides, that morning I had woken up in a foul mood. Only Lokih's last letter had managed to bring a smile to my face, in which he suggested certain deliciously sarcastic remarks to make to the guests in case I was bored. If they were not welcome, his next advice was to seek the nearest exit at Eneas' mansion.

Aware that Cadmot intended to call me ragged as soon as he saw me in one of those dresses, I decided to put off choosing and go to fix Clariess, which would take much longer. Given how excited Gracelie was about this ball, she would not accept that her daughter's appearance was anything less than the most impeccable perfection. Just as I opened the bedroom door, I was confronted by someone I had no energy to stand.

"What do you want, Fern?"

"Well, I see you've gone off the deep end," she snorted, angrily, and peeked brazenly out from under my arm. "Ah, Persie, don't tell me you were thinking of going to your highness's house wearing one of those dusty rags."

I glared at her as I shut the door.

"I don't have time for this. I have to go get Clariess ready, so unless..."

"I have orders from the lords that I am to attend Lady Clariess tonight."

I looked at Fern suspiciously.

"Are you making this up?"

Considering how obsessed she was with getting my job, she didn't exactly seem happy.

"Of course not. You have orders too: they want you to wear this."

My eyes widened when Fern held out a lavender-colored dress hanging from her arm.

"Me?"

"Yes, you stupid. And this too."

In her other hand she held a pair of high heels, earrings and a choker. I didn't take them, but shook my head in astonishment.