20. Let Me In.

A/N: Lullaby. Sidebar (above for mobile). Now. Thank me later. This girl's a fucking boss ass bitch.

Cassie’s POV:

Struggling to pull myself out of the last dregs of my dream, I smiled at the soft vibrations running throughout my body, their melodious hum easing me back into the peace that sleep promised. 

Snuggling deeper down into the warmth surrounding me, I fisted my hand into the fabric, my curiosity peaking as my nails skimmed a solid heat below. My eyes twitched beneath my closed lids as a new sound invaded the serene humming, the quiet scrape of paper against paper. Two silky lines pressed gently against my forehead as my arms were suddenly constricted against my body and the solid surface beneath me. 

I frowned and crushed my eyes closed tighter. Ignore it. You’re exhausted and your mind is messing with you. I burrowed down deeper into the warmth beneath me, reveling in the heady scent that pricked at my mind, begging me to place it.

Paper scraped paper as the humming continued, lilting every so often before fading again, mahogany and teakwood tickled my senses. The lulling movement that had been gently rocking me back and forth suddenly changed, hitching for several seconds before picking up a more rapid pace. A frustrated groan slipped from my lips as I blinked my eyes, the lazy motion struggling to adjust to the change in lighting.

I flinched as a hot hand suddenly cupped my cheek, easing my head back until my eyes were met by concerned jade depths, “Hello, Angel,” he cooed, his voice still thick with sleep. I jolted, my body screamed for me to get the hell away from him. I couldn’t remember how he had gotten in or managed to get me into bed. I squirmed in his embrace, a sigh of relief escaping as I realized that we were both fully clothed.

“Are you okay?” Emotion flooded his voice as I watched him with open confusion, my eyes widening as the memories from last night gradually laced themselves back together. Tears pooled in my eyes, slipping through my tight control as I crushed them closed, burring my face deep into the crook of his arm, hiding there. Soft whimpers fell from my parted lips as the phantom pains returned, my right hand cried out in agony as I clutched tightly onto the thin fabric of his t-shirt.

There was a slight thump of something hitting the ground before his arms automatically tightened around me, the pain racking my body only intensifying, “Shhh, Angel, shhhh, I’m here, I’m here,” he cooed, his words slipping into the same slow hum as before. My body automatically responded as the quiet melody played out though his sultry voice.

Dear Lamb of mine, find sleep and peace in dreams,

I’m here, my dear, I swear I’ll never leave;

My constricted muscles relaxed and I collapsed onto his chest, silent tears streaming down my cheeks.

Divine, sweet child, virtue in your bright eyes gleams,

Cry not, Angel, let fear leave, in the night, a thief;

Gentle hands ran up and down my arms, soft lips pressing repeatedly against my forehead and into my dark hair. I gasped in a shaking breath as I fought off the flashbacks. His golden eyes were waiting for me whenever I closed mine, His malicious smile jeering at me from the shadows, His jealously fueled rage pinning me up against the wall, large hands landing blows to my abdomen that would leave undeniable plum flowers.

Monsters, depart afraid of what’s to come,

Be strong, dear one, smile bright into the night;

I dug my fingers down into his skin through his t-shirt, struggling to keep myself grounded in reality against the memories threatening to steal my consciousness.