2.08 - the suicide king

In which everything gets worse

✩。:*•.───── ❁ ❁ ─────.•*:。✩

Rudy paced the room, glancing at Rick and Cassie like he was watching some sort of tennis match. Cassie's face was adorned with worry, her eyebrows pinched together harshly as she attempted to breathe through her widened lips.

Rick was worried too - his rapid breathing proved that - but his face was washed over with something else; a focused anger. Not only had the Governor taken Glenn and Maggie, two valued members of the group, but he'd dared to ask for his daughter.

The daughter he'd drive to school in a cop car, partly to embarrass her, but also to prove that if harm came to her, then he'd bring hell. And he would still bring hell.

Rudy could easily remember the time before Cassie had come out, that Rick had sat him down and made sure he had good intentions with her (despite the fact they weren't dating), and the time after she'd come out, where he'd done the same with Maria.

"We've got to get back. Can you walk?" Rick asked, his gaze softening as he moved it to Glenn.

"I'm good," Glenn nodded, swallowing thickly.

Rudy moved to John and his friend, checking on the both of them. He was overjoyed to have John back, just as he was overjoyed that he and Cassie had found her family at the farm.

But a part of him just wanted his family, not the one he'd found - which he was more than grateful for - but his blood; his father, his sister.

After talking to Daryl, he'd realised it was part of the reason he had such an aversion to killing walkers. The lingering thought that one of them could be his family had embedded in him – an unknown blip in his bravery.

He could see the same thing in the redneck now, the internal pull you felt for family, like the metal cruising in your shared blood magnetised every time you were near.

He didn't blame Daryl for thinking of Merle, hell, if he was in the same situation he'd already be with his sister. And judging by the look in the redneck's eyes, Daryl was the same.

"One, two," Rick counted, his hand tight around the doorknob as he checked over the group, making sure they were ready. "Three."

He opened the door, Daryl tossing out a smoke bomb, allowing the group to sneak away, blanketed by the smoggy haze.

Rudy's vision was shaky, his heart beating aggressively. He could barely see - that all too familiar flighty response overbearing him.

He gripped his shotgun tightly, aiming it in the distance as he desperately tried to yank himself back into reality.

He could hear the muffled screams, overlapping in the chaos of banging and shuffling. He could just about make out Cassie, two swords tightly gripped in her hands as John and Bones gratefully slipped past her, veering left where the others went right.